Meningitis and pregnancy - a very rare combination, however, exclude the possibility of meningitis during pregnancy impossible. The meningitis prevention is timely treatment of infectious and inflammatory purulent processes and maximum limitation of the contacts of pregnant women with possible sources of infection.
Meningitis during pregnancy - is there a risk?
Meningitis during pregnancy could theoretically grow more frequently than non-pregnant women, since the beginning of pregnancy is associated with reduced immunity. This physiological reaction of the organism, which protects the fetus from rejection by the mother, for whom it is alien tissue.
Immunosuppression pose a threat of infection. Pregnant women often develop a variety of bacterial, fungal and viral infections. Not excluded and various diseases that lead to meningitis.
These diseases primarily include chronic foci of infection in the upper respiratory tract and periodontal tissue. Very often lead to the development of chronic purulent meningitis in the middle ear, sinuses, purulent gum disease. Development of meningitis during pregnancy is quite real.
Immunosuppression leads to active propagation of conditionally pathogenic microflora living on the surface of the body, such as yeast fungi genus Candida, which can also cause the development of meningitis.
Finally, a pregnant woman can get menengokokkovoy or enterovirus infection and the subsequent development of meningitis.
All this theoretical possibility that rarely occur in practice, though they need to know in order to prevent as much as possible.
Meningococcal meningitis in pregnancy
Meningococcal infection is quite common. For pregnant women, a particular danger are the carriers of this infection and patients who have had it in the form of nasopharyngitis. They are the source of infection - the infection is transmitted through airborne droplets when sneezing and coughing.
A pregnant woman meningococcal infection in most cases, also takes place in the form of a carriage or nasopharyngitis, without causing any complications. Nevertheless, possibly severe course of meningococcal disease
Meningococcal disease: the danger you need to know in person
with the development of meningitis. The course of the disease in pregnant women is usually heavy. And as the disease causes increased vascular permeability, it is possible the penetration of infection through the placenta to the fetus, so meningococcal infection is usually a cause for termination of pregnancy.
Serous meningitis in pregnancy
Serous meningitis often has a viral origin and called enteroviruses Coxsackie and ECHO. But there are serous meningitis
Serous meningitis - a consequence of serious infection
and bacterial origin, such as tuberculosis, syphilitic, leptospiral meningitis. Of all these meningitis for pregnant women more real than just a disease of enterovirus infection and the subsequent development of meningitis.
Enterovirus infection is transmitted through dirty hands and objects, which touched the patient (contact transmission of the disease). Not excluded, and airborne transmission, if the patient has a catarrhal phenomena such as cough, runny nose and sneezing.
Meningitis - an inflammation of the meninges
- Is a form of enterovirus infection, occurring with lesions of the meninges. The disease mainly affects children, adolescents and young adults, including can develop in pregnant women. The incubation period of the disease from 2 to 12 days. It starts acute meningitis, with a temperature rise, and repeated vomiting. Sometimes there are seizures and impaired consciousness. Febrile period lasts from three to 10 days. On the second - the third day of the disease appear meningeal symptoms: severe headache, stiff neck, and so on.
Current enteroviral meningitis benign, the patient recovered after a week, the state of the cerebrospinal fluid returns to normal in three to four weeks.
Prenatal care is dependent on the state of women who had aseptic meningitis. When a moderate course of infection of the disease through the placenta does not usually occur, so the question of continuing the pregnancy is usually solved positively.
How to prevent meningitis in pregnancy
For the prevention of meningitis
Prevention of meningitis - reasonable precautions
during pregnancy should be:
- no contact with patients suffering from any acute respiratory infections;
- wash hands frequently; all fruits and vegetables thoroughly washed under running water and parboil;
- promptly treat all acute and chronic purulent ENT diseases and periodontal tissues, as well as any other foci of infection; is optimal treatment of these processes in preparation for pregnancy;
- strengthen the immune system by the maximum stay in the fresh air and the daily consumption of fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins and minerals.