The most effective way to treat allergies - it is avoid exposure to trigger an allergic reaction, but, unfortunately, it is not always possible
. The most common medication for allergies - it antihistamines, drugs that neutralize the action of histamine - the chemical substances that cause an allergic reaction
. To reduce severe symptoms of allergies are also used anti-inflammatory steroids, prescription of the doctor, for example, prednisone
. In situations where there is a threat to human life - in the case of anaphylactic shock - an injection of epinephrine to unlock airways
. An injection of epinephrine may slow or stop an allergic reaction
. Epinephrine stops the production of chemicals that cause an allergic reaction
. Epinephrine eases symptoms such as shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, itching,
. It also normalizes blood pressure and reduces the swelling of hands, feet, eyelids, tongue and throat
Allergen-specific immunotherapy (desensitization or "allergy vaccination") allows you to get as close to a cure of some types of allergies. It consists in introducing into the organism a minor amount of allergens with gradual dose increases to stimulate the immune system. Over time (typically 12 months) is formed in the body resistance to the allergen.
Atopic and contact dermatitis treated with various anti-inflammatory steroids, often - hydrocortisone
Hydrocortisone - a drug that could save the life of the patient
. Steroids can be used both topically (cream) or orally (tablet). Urticaria and angioedema (angioedema) do not require treatment, but in severe cases, prescribe antihistamines, steroids, or Zantac tablets.
Hay fever is usually treated with antihistamines (eg, loratidine, it is available without prescription), but if the allergy symptoms do not disappear when loratidine treatment, your doctor may prescribe a corticosteroid nasal spray. Also for the treatment of allergic rhinitis applied leukotriene receptor antagonists, these should be taken orally daily. Allergen-specific immunotherapy is effective in the treatment of hay fever, but it begins to "work" only a year later.
The best treatment for food allergies - exclusion from the diet food allergens. If the reaction to specific foods cause you discomfort, but not life-threatening, the doctor may prescribe antihistamines or topical creams. If the allergy is so strong that there is a possibility of anaphylactic shock, it recommended to always carry a first aid kit containing a syringe with epinephrine. Epinephrine will quickly arrest the symptoms and slow the allergic reaction.
If you are allergic to certain medications, wear a special bracelet with an indication of these medicines, and always warn the doctor about your allergies, when it assigns you a new medicine. Skin rash caused by drug allergies are usually treated with antihistamines; in some cases, be administered orally or topical steroids.
Kiss type allergy
As in the case of food allergies, the best treatment - stay away from the allergens, but often prescribe allergen-specific immunotherapy. If there is a risk of anaphylactic shock, it recommended to always carry a first aid kit containing a syringe with epinephrine.
Here are some alternative treatments for allergies, which can be hazardous to health:
- Autogenous Urinotherapy. Isolated from urine protein and is administered into the skin. This procedure may be harmful to the kidneys.
- Vitamin supplements
Food additives - basic classification
. The patient receives high doses of vitamins and other nutrients. But some of the nutrients and vitamins in high doses are very dangerous. For example, overdose of vitamin A leads to hypervitaminosis A, which is accompanied by loss of appetite, nausea, drowsiness, gait disturbances, and so on.
- Diet. It allowed to eat only certain foods, vitamins, minerals and amino acids. If the power is not balanced, perhaps depletion and digestive disorders.
Atopic and contact dermatitis treated with various anti-inflammatory steroids, often - hydrocortisone. Steroids can be used both topically (cream) or orally (tablet). Urticaria and angioedema (angioedema) do not require treatment, but in severe cases, prescribe antihistamines, steroids, or Zantac tablets.
Taking a drug, remember the following:
- Any medication allergy should only be taken under medical supervision, because many such funds have side effects.
- Drugs nonprescription should be taken with great caution. Be sure to check how these drugs interact with other drugs you are taking.
- Always take the full dose of the medicine, otherwise do not get the desired effect.
- One of the important factors of choice drug allergy - its price. Often people who suffer from chronic allergies, find the price too high, but not to avoid buying medicines and health can not save.
Allergy treatment: types of antihistamines
- Antihistamines help reduce the effects of histamine, which causes allergic reaction. It is best to take the medication antihistamine before allergen will work. Antihistamines removes most annoying allergy symptoms - itching, rhinorrhea and sneezing. Side effects of antihistamines - drowsiness and dryness in the mouth. Antihistamines are sold in the form of nasal sprays (for the treatment of allergic rhinitis) and eye drops, which relieve eye irritation. You can buy medicines on prescription or without it. In addition, the physician may prescribe along with antihistamines and decongestants (decongestants).
- Nasal spray containing a solution of sodium chloride, clears the nasal passages and eliminate allergens. Nasal sprays containing cromolyn help reduce allergy symptoms. Nasal spray is effective only if they do not use more than a month, then spray should be changed. Nasal sprays reduce congestion and swelling caused by allergic rhinitis (runny nose). Spray containing nedocromil, it recommended for the treatment of patients with asthma.
- Decongestants (decongestants) relieve nasal congestion and improve the outflow of mucus and reduce inflammation. Decongestants are sold in the form of sprays, drops or tablets. With regular use of decongestants can not be ruled addictive and formation depending on when the patient is relieved only after taking the drug. Moreover, the prolonged use of decongestants can lead to high blood pressure, nervousness, and irritability
Irritability - you try to control my temper
. It is much safer for the health to take pills or use the drop. Some eye drops may contain decongestants that remove redness caused by conjunctivitis. Such a drop contraindicated in patients with glaucoma or hypertension.
- Corticosteroids reduce swelling and itching - the most unpleasant symptoms of an allergic reaction. Corticosteroids are contained in a nasal spray for the treatment of rhinitis and sinusitis. Topical creams are effective in treating rashes and insect bites. Patients with asthma is recommended to use corticosteroids contained in aerosols. Short-term use of corticosteroids causes weight gain and edema. Prolonged use of corticosteroids may contribute to the development of diabetes, osteoporosis
Osteoporosis - he threatens you?
- Mast cell stabilizers (mast cells), reduce swelling of the bronchioles. They are contained in inhalers for asthma, eye drops for the treatment of conjunctivitis and nasal spray for the treatment of rhinitis. Mast cell stabilizers effective only in the first week of administration. Side effects - coughing and skin rashes.
- Adrenaline (epinephrine) is administered to patients allergic only in case of exceptionally strong anaphylactic shock. An injection of epinephrine can save lives, as it promotes the normalization of blood pressure and heart rate. Epinephrine also relates to antihistamines.
- Allergy shots - a long-term solution that is ideal for the treatment of allergic rhinitis. Duration of treatment - from three to five years, but it's worth it because this treatment - if you have the patience to see it through - all save you from allergies. However, such treatment should take place only under the supervision of qualified and experienced doctor.
Type of drug is determined by the condition of the patient and the nature of the allergy. Your doctor may recommend a combination therapy with multiple drugs. Therefore, it is also important to pass the regular follow-up after receiving anti-allergy drugs