A premature baby: care and possible complications - Common health problems
November 4th, 2007
- A premature baby: care and possible complications
- Common health problems
Caring for a premature baby
Although most premature babies who are born between 32 and 37 weeks of pregnancy, with good care is fast catching up in weight and the development of healthy children, premature babies born at less than 26 weeks, the risk of developing long-term physical defects, such as delays in mental development, deafness and cerebral palsy. In the ICU newborn premature baby is placed in the "incubator." These incubators are made of transparent plastic, the temperature is maintained constant child limit fluid loss and decrease the possibility of infection.
Premature babies need a special diet, because their digestive systems are still underdeveloped. Powered by tube or intravenous feeding is used as long as a premature baby will not be able to suck and swallow. Sometimes the baby is fed through a tube mother expressed breast milk which contains proteins that protect the body from infection kid and accelerate its growth.
A premature baby can stay in the neonatal intensive care unit for a few weeks or months. The first six weeks are considered to be critical. The first weeks of life of premature babies is quite impossible to predict, so the doctor will allow discharge home only if the following conditions are met:
- If premature baby is able to maintain body temperature in an open cradle at least 24 - 48 hours.
- If the baby is ready to artificial or breastfeeding and complementary feeding through a tube is not required.
- If the baby shows signs of stable growth and development.
Common health problems in preterm infants
- Sleep apnea
Dreams: how to understand our dreams
(apnea), which means that the kid might dream is going through a period of respiratory arrest
Stop breathing (apnea) during sleep - upper airway obstruction
When the heartbeat slows and the skin is slightly turning blue.
- Respiratory failure in preterm infants is often difficult breathing due to underdeveloped lungs.
- Anemia: The blood of premature infants lack the red blood cells, so in some cases they do a blood transfusion. In addition, the lifespan of red blood cells at such a child is very small.
- The risk of infection: premature infant at increased risk of infection, as any part of his body can be easily infected.
- Hyperbilirubinemia: it is a condition where the baby falls ill with jaundice. It is important to control this disease since it may lead to brain damage if the level of bilirubin is greater than the permissible level.
Home care for the premature baby
Premature babies require special care and attention at home. Mother-child will have to devote all the time, especially the first week. Support for all family members can only benefit the baby. Doctors do not recommend in the first year to give the baby who was born prematurely, in a manger. Thanks to the love and care home, the baby will grow perfectly normal and healthy.
- Limiting the number of visitors: premature babies are prone to disease because they have a very weak immune system
Immunity - types and characteristics in children in adults
. Their body can not protect itself from infections, in contrast to the body baby, born after 9 months of pregnancy. Therefore it is better to be cautious and to limit access to the child. Adults or children with a cold or the flu, do not have to be near the baby. Child should surround the almost sterile cleanliness. In the first three months it is not recommended to bear a child out of the house.
- Frequent feeding on the day of the child should be fed at least 8-10 times, and to do it very slowly. Higher risk of developing necrotizing enterocolitis (gastrointestinal illness). To prevent dehydration between feedings should not exceed four hours. After feeding, be sure to check to see whether the child srygnul. Excessive regurgitation may interfere with the child to gain weight. In this case, you should seek medical advice.
- Healthy Sleep: premature babies sleep more hours per day than regular kids. Select a firm mattress and make sure that the baby is sleeping on the back, not the stomach, to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome in a dream.
- Preparing for an emergency: even after leaving home, the doctor may recommend a period of time continue to use special equipment, such as an apnea monitor. The mother and other family members need to know how to handle such equipment. You should also learn the basics of first aid, print doctor's recommendation and hang them in a prominent place in the nursery.
- Vaccinations: Vaccinations premature babies
Inoculation of premature babies - carried out on an individual schedule
do on such a schedule as usual. It is desirable to adhere to the schedule, each vaccination is important. With proper care the health of the baby is stable, and he quickly catch up with their peers.
Strollers - how to choose the best - stroller for twins
August 5, 2007
- Strollers - how to choose the best
- Baby carriages for twins
Baby carriages for twins
Parenting twins - a headache
Headache: Causes and Complications
all parents. Most parents are all carefully ponder before choosing a stroller for their babies. A double stroller - a very important acquisition, especially for those parents who have to carry two children at once. The lack of wheelchairs or incorrectly selected model can turn carrying children in the real test, bordering on circus tricks. There are two basic designs of carriages for twins
- Stroller Tandem: seats located one behind the other or touch backs. The first planting scheme called "landing on the stadium" where both the baby (seated front and rear seat) see the same thing. This stroller is suitable for children of all ages, for example, the same age. The kid sitting in the back seat, leans back slightly, so that the baby in the front seat have more legroom. Such double stroller is convenient to carry in public places, in addition, they can easily be placed on the seat of the car and easy to fold. You can also find cheaper models such carriage.
- Carriages with a serial arrangement of seats: seats are arranged in a row, allowing children to sit and watch in the same direction. These wheelchair much easier for the parents watching the kids. These strollers are best suited for twins or children of the same weight. In this category you can also find kolyaski- "sticks" and sports and jogging strollers.
Strollers for twins
If you have twins: Ten Smiles
designed for children or infants of the same age. These strollers are similar to conventional models for one child, with one exception: they placed two toddlers. Both are sitting in a wheelchair rejected on the same level, in addition, you can install them in car seats for small children. Such carriages look like two ordinary stroller, stapled together.
Accessories for baby carriage
- It covers almost all strollers equipped with covers that protect your baby from the sun and rain. Some strollers come with covers, covers the entire carriage up to the wheels.
- Visor: Visor (umbrella) protects your child from the hot sun.
- Wire mesh: in carriages, covered with fine wire mesh, the baby is protected from insect bites.
- Toys: many wheelchairs are provided means for attaching the toys that children do not get bored. Toys can be attached to a wheelchair by a strap.
- Stands for food: this handy accessory equipped with almost all strollers.
- The soft seat cushion for the head: these accessories are very handy when traveling long distances, in which a child can sleep. The soft seat cushion for the head can be removed and used as needed.