- Hirsutism - when femininity leaves
Treatment of hirsutism
Hirsutism can not be cured, but it can control its display. In addition, if you are overweight or obese, it is strongly recommended to lose weight - it can significantly alleviate the symptoms of hirsutism.
One of the main methods used in the treatment of hirsutism, is the removal of hair. To do this, there are many different resources, many of whom regularly use even women who do not suffer from hirsutism.
- Shaving - simple, quick and inexpensive way to remove unwanted hair. However, the daily shaving of possible skin irritation; In addition, the skin very quickly formed stiff bristles, so shave off facial hair is not recommended.
- Bleaching of hair. The means used to bleach quickly making hair less noticeable, but they can cause severe skin irritation. Furthermore, these agents are not effective for all.
- Waxing and shugaring. Through the use of these methods of unwanted hair, you can forget for a few weeks. However, in some cases, waxing and shugaring cause severe pain (especially if a woman has a low pain threshold) results in damage to the skin, scarring, and folliculitis (inflammation of hair follicles).
- Electrolysis - a technology that involves the use of electricity to destroy the hair follicles and permanent hair removal. Hair removal using electrolysis, even in a small area of the skin may take a long time; Furthermore, the procedure can be painful, and sometimes leads to the appearance of scars and skin discoloration.
- Laser hair removal. When using this technology the hair follicles are destroyed with laser beam. To remove the hair on one area of the skin may need a series of sessions that are held within a few months. Furthermore, this method of hair removal
Hair Removal: Which method is right for you?
most effective for women with dark hair and light skin.
If necessary, you can discuss different methods of hair removal with your doctor. The choice of method will depend on the following factors:
- How your skin reacts to a particular method of hair removal
Hair removal: perfect skin without hair
. If, for example, waxing makes you strong irritation from him will have to give, despite its effectiveness.
- What you can afford. Laser hair removal and electrolysis - costly procedure, which is performed in specialized clinics. Not everyone can afford them, not only because of the cost, but also because of the fact that procedures need to take place regularly, and for women with a tight work schedule which may be difficult.
For the treatment of mild forms of hirsutism can be quite a use of a particular method of hair removal. However, if hirsutism affects the quality of life of the patient, it can be assigned to medical treatment.
Treatment of hirsutism oral contraceptive is prescribed only for women who have not menopause. For the treatment may be prescribed conventional combined oral contraceptives, or co-tsiprindiol. In both cases, the length of treatment is at least six months.
Combined oral contraceptives. The preparations from this category containing drospirenone (for example, Yasmin), inhibit the activity of male hormones, and therefore are used to treat hirsutism. Drospirenone has anti-androgenic effect, and prevents excessive hair growth, as well as the emergence of some other signs of elevated levels of male sex hormones in the body.
Usually combined oral contraceptives are the means of first choice in the treatment of hirsutism in women before menopause. They are particularly useful in cases where long term treatment is necessary.
Co-tsiprindiol. This preparation also possesses antiandrogenic action, which is why it is used not only in the treatment of hirsutism, and acne caused by an excess of male sex hormone.
After three or four menstrual cycles after co-tsiprindiol significantly weaken the symptoms of hirsutism, treatment should be discontinued. Long-term use of the drug increases the risk of venous thromboembolism and some other disorders.
Co-tsiprindiol not prescribed to patients with a family history who have thromboembolism.
If after treatment the symptoms of hirsutism will again be more severe, your doctor may prescribe another course of a co-tsiprindiola. Sometimes in such cases are sufficiently effective combined oral contraceptives.
Eflornithine - alternative preparation which can be used to treat hirsutism before and after menopause. It is prescribed in the following cases:
- The patient is observed excessive hair growth on the face;
- Application depilatories inefficiently;
- Oral contraceptives are not effective, or for some reason is not suitable to the patient.
Eflornithine - is an ointment which is applied a thin layer on the face (in other parts of the body it is rarely used) twice a day to slow down hair growth. It needs to be thoroughly rubbed into the skin and on top of it, if you wish, you can apply makeup. You can not wash your face at least four hours after applying the ointment.
Ointment slows hair growth by acting on hair follicles. The result will be visible, usually 6-8 weeks after starting treatment. If four months later will not see any effect, the use of eflornithine should be stopped. If eflornithine acted, it must continue to use, and then - hair growth to resume in about eight weeks after you stop to apply ointment.
Eflornithine is contraindicated in pregnant and lactating women.
Side effects of eflornithine may be:
- Burning and tingling after applying the ointment;
Hormonal drugs of both types can cause the following side effects:
- Body weight change (in most cases - the weight gain);
- Breast tenderness;
- Mood changes such as irritability,
Irritability - you try to control my temper
Referral to a specialist
The doctor diagnosed hirsutism (usually makes a family doctor or a dermatologist) may refer the patient to another specialist, such as an endocrinologist in the following cases:
- Application of the above treatments for 6-12 months did not produce significant results;
- Unwanted body hair is growing despite treatment.
Patients with high levels of testosterone in the blood, or rapidly developing hirsutism doctor can provide a referral to an oncologist.
The most common complication of hirsutism is folliculitis - an inflammation of the hair follicles. Usually folliculitis develops in patients who use hair removal methods such as shaving, waxing, plucking, or pincer. Usually the symptoms of folliculitis persist for several weeks and during this time to remove the hair on the affected area of skin is not recommended because it may slow down the recovery.
In some women, hirsutism leads to the development of depression
Depression - a little more than a bad mood
and other problems that lie in the psychological sphere. If you are in a few weeks you feel depression, decreased interest in cases that previously caused enthusiasm, suffering from insomnia, or, conversely, from excessive sleepiness, consult your doctor - you may need professional help.