- Immunity and food - stimulates your body
- Products to enhance the body's defenses
One of the best ways to support the immune system and protect against colds and flu might surprise you. You just need to eat fruits and vegetables. Experts say that in your diet including plenty of fruits and vegetables, you can protect yourself from infections. This is possible because these wonderful foods contain antioxidants that stimulate the immune system.
What are antioxidants? These are vitamins, minerals and other substances that protect and restore our cells from damage caused by free radicals. Experts believe that these lesions play an important role in the occurrence of many chronic diseases, such as atherosclerosis, cancer and arthritis
Arthritis - a variety of forms and complications
. Free radicals and prevent the immune system. Thus, antioxidants help maintain a strong immune system that will protect you from colds, flu and other infections.
Antioxidants for Immunity - where to find them
Increasing the amount of fruits and vegetables in the diet improves health status. But some foods contain more antioxidants than others. The three major antioxidant vitamins
Antioxidants: the truth about the notorious benefits
- It is beta-carotene, vitamin C and vitamin E. They can be found in colorful fruits, vegetables and berries, especially in purple, blue, red, orange and yellow. To preserve nutrients, better to eat these foods raw or lightly steamed - it should not be a long time to cook.
Beta-carotene and other carotenoids include the following products: apricots, asparagus, beets, broccoli, cantaloupe, carrots, corn, green peppers, kale, mangoes, turnip greens, peaches
Peaches: benefits and harms of sun fruits
, Nectarines, pink grapefruit, pumpkin, spinach, squash, tangerines, tomatoes, watermelons.
Vitamin C: Berries, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cantaloupe, cauliflower, grapefruit, kale, kiwi, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papaya, peppers, strawberries, tomatoes.
Vitamin E: broccoli, carrots, mangoes, nuts, papaya, pumpkin, red peppers, spinach, sunflower seeds.
Furthermore, different sources of antioxidants are:
Plums, apples, red grapes, all berries, prunes, raisins, onions, eggplant, beans.
Vitamins - not only antioxidant which are contained in the products. Other antioxidants that help the immune system:
Zinc. Contained in oysters, red meat, poultry, seafood, whole grains and dairy products
Selenium. Contained in Brazil nuts, tuna, beef, poultry meat and grain products.
How much needed antioxidants?
To the body receives all the necessary and well-functioning, should focus on daily consumption rates (daily requirement). This number will allow you to stay healthy.
Below are details of the daily requirement of antioxidants:
- Zinc. 11 mg for men and 8 mg for women. If you stick to a strict vegetarian diet, you need about half as much zinc. The fact that the body metabolizes worse zinc from plant sources.
- Selenium: 55 mcg for men and women.
- Beta-carotene: 5 mg for men and women.
- Vitamin C: 90 mg for men, 75 mg for women. Smokers need more vitamin C - 125 mg for men to 110 women.
- Vitamin E: 15 mg for men and women.
As products enhance immunity
People often ask if we could get all the necessary vitamins, just taking supplements
Food additives - basic classification
and vitamin complexes? Yes, these tools are useful, but not getting antioxidants from food, you may lose some of the other necessary substances. The products contain many components, which together have a beneficial effect on health. Studies show than useful, and other substances found in fruits and vegetables, such as:
- Quercetin: A substance that can be found in apples, onions, tea, red wine and other foods. Fights inflammation and allergies.
- Luteolin: a flavonoid contained in celery and green pepper. Also fights inflammation. One study shows that it may be useful to protect against Alzheimer's disease.
- Catechins: a kind of flavonoids contained in tea. Catechins reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer's disease.
If you can not obtain the necessary substances from fresh fruits and vegetables, you can help multivitamins. However, be careful when receiving special funds aimed at maintaining immunity. As with any means, are important moderation and adherence to dosage. For example, vitamins A and E used in excess can accumulate and lead to poisoning.