Counter calorie - count or do not count?
November 6, 2008
Glossy magazines abound with new stellar diet, therefore, begs the logical question: Is the traditional approaches to weight loss is no longer relevant? Is the good old method of counting calories outdated? Not at all. Using a calorie counter - a proven and effective way to lose weight.
The basis of this simple method is based on the principle of energy balance: it is necessary to consume a day not more energy (calories) than you need for life. This means that the entry must match the consumption of calories. However, in most developed countries, there is the problem of inactivity - lack of exercise and physical activity. We lead a sedentary lifestyle, but do not hurry to make adjustments in your diet, so the problem of overweight and obesity is reaching epidemic proportions gradually.
To maintain the normal life of the average adult needs about 1840 calories a day
How many calories a day you need to lose weight - everyone has their own rate
and more than 800-1200 calories during exercise. If you consume fewer calories than you expend, you lose weight, if greater, by contrast, are recovering: unused calories stored as fat reserves. This principle is the basis of all the weight loss programs, which essentially boils down to a simultaneous reduction of entering the body of calories and increase physical activity.
What is a calorie counter?
Counter (or a calculator) calories - is a computer program with a database containing 30 000 names of foods and beverages, with which you can calculate the energy value of used products based on their weight. Calorie calculator can be found on many sites dedicated to Diet and Weight Loss; There are also specialized applications for mobile phones, so you can always get the number of the use of calories. This is a very useful tool that allows you not only to control your calorie intake, but also to form individual diet with a minimal amount of carbohydrates and fats.
As calorie counter helps to lose weight?
After determining the number of calories needed for life is your body, and use a calculator to count calories in food eaten, you can adjust accordingly your diet to help you lose weight. The average woman needs 2,000 calories a day, and men - 2500 kcal. To reset 0, 5 kg per week, it is necessary to reduce the calorie intake by approximately 500 kilocalories per day. To do this, you need to eat less and do more fitness, that is to increase physical activity. It is worth to mention yet another useful property calculator calories - it can be used to make daily exercise program, because it also allows you to determine the number of calories that you spend per day on various activities.
With the calorie counter and food diary you can learn the calorie of food consumed, and stay within the daily energy needs. The calorie calculator can also specify your gender, height and weight, which will more accurately calculate how many calories your body needs for normal life. You can calculate the calories of your diet broken down into separate methods of food, and you can simply bring the grand total for the day.
However, the caloric intake should not fall below 1000 calories per day. Often in the fight for a slim figure
Practical tips for a slim figure
we follow a very strict diet, reducing diet to 500 calories a day. These quick diets are focused on quick results and are designed for a maximum of one or two weeks. If you strictly adhere to the required amount of calories and gradually increase exercise, you are sure to lose weight and you can almost effortlessly maintain a constant weight.
Nutritional supplements - are harmful and ineffective?
May 13, 2007
Dietary supplements - are substances which are added to food products in the production process for changing the taste, color, consistency or foods as preservatives to maintain the quality of products. Supplements may be either naturally occurring (e.g., vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is obtained from fruit and lecithin - from egg yolks) and synthetic origin.
Classification food additives
- Anti-caking agent, preserving the ability to spilling of product (e.g., additives in the salt) - bentonite, calcium silicate.
- Agents, defoaming - polyethylene glycol, triethyl citrate.
- Antioxidants - substances that prevent oxidative deterioration of foods, for example, butylated hydroxyanisole, ascorbyl palmitate, calcium ascorbate.
- Artificial sweeteners - sorbitol, aspartame, saccharin.
- Bulking supplements that do not affect the nutritional value of the product - ammonium chloride, polydextrose, isomalt.
- The dyes change color food, and agents that enhance the color of the products (such as iron gluconate).
- Emulsifiers - agents promoting the transformation combination of oil and water into a homogeneous mixture (lecithin, sorbitan monostearate).
- Enzymes (enzymes) - disintegrating agents involved in the fermentation process (for example, in the production of cheese milk).
- Sealers - Substances that strengthen the structure of the food product and prevent its destruction (calcium chloride, calcium gluconate, calcium sulfate).
- Flavor enhancers (monosodium glutamate, etilmaltol).
- Food acids is maintained constant sour taste of some products (citric acid, acetic acid, fumaric acid).
- Glazing - white and yellow beeswax, carnauba wax, shellac.
- Gelling agent (used in the manufacture jellies, desserts and other confections) - agar, calcium alginate, carrageenan.
- Preservatives - prevent food spoilage microorganisms (sodium nitrite benzoevaya acid, sodium benzoate)
- Thickeners - sodium alginate, pectins, tannins.
Is it safe to food additives?
Although in most cases, any nutritional supplements are safe for human health, some of them can provoke an allergic reaction or other disorders - such as headaches, digestive disorders, irritable bowel syndrome symptoms. Potentially unsafe food additives that can cause side effects include:
- Aspartame - an artificial sweetener, according to some studies increases the risk of certain cancers. The carcinogenic effect of aspartame is not scientifically proven, so this food additive, which is found in the composition of carbonated drinks, yoghurts, some confectionery is approved. The daily rate of aspartame should not exceed forty milligrams per kilogram of body weight of an adult or child.
- Sodium benzoate - a preservative and dye used in the production of soft drinks and some confectionery. According to studies, sodium benzoate in large quantities can cause symptoms of hyperactivity in children. Kids eating drinks and sweets with this food additive
Food additives - basic classification
- Monosodium glutamate - one of the most common flavor enhancers, potentially able to trigger an allergic reaction and respiratory disorders when used in large quantities.
- Nitrite - preservatives, antimicrobial agents, and latches the color added to meat products and different types of cheeses. It is believed that the use of nitrite in the long run increases the risk of cancer of the gastrointestinal tract and other diseases.
- Tartratsin - food coloring that can potentially aggravate asthma and chronic urticaria (tartratsina such action on the body, some medical studies confirm while others refute).
The most popular ingredients of dietary supplements:
- bitter orange (synephrine)
- guar gum
- green tea
- hydroxycitric acid
- Vitamin B5
- conjugated linolenic acid
- chitosan (ground crustacean shells)
- Apple vinegar
These components affect specific biological functions. The increase in energy consumption, for example, accelerated use of fats and carbohydrates, the occurrence of satiety, and even overeating, limited assimilation of fats and diuretic properties - this is the most common functions of dietary supplements. St. John's wort supposedly promotes weight loss because of its valuable property relieves depression
Depression - a little more than a bad mood
And, consequently, reduce the consumption of food as a means to deal with stress
How to beat stress? Create an oasis
As manufacturers of dietary supplements are not tested by the competent authorities, there are no precise rules for the preparation of information on the package. Therefore, the packaging often appears no precise information about the effects of an agent, and the roles of a substance included in its composition. For example, the property of the chromium to accelerate the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates gives reason manufacturers chromium supplements claim that their facility promotes weight loss. However, practical evidence does not support that theory. Thus, it is believed that ginseng affect glucose tolerance
Glucose: The energy source
But studies have not been confirmed, it can promote weight loss.
Also, the package is not specified the exact content of a particular ingredient. Caffeine - a stimulant, which is used in the majority of dietary supplements. Thus, according to one study, the caffeine content in food supplements in line with 30 banks Cola, though, according to the information on the packaging, it should not exceed the content of caffeine in one cup of cola. In several similar studies it has been found that the composition of such dietary supplements include ingredients in an amount sufficient to irreversibly change systems metabolism.
It is no secret that dietary supplements have a number of serious side effects. Ephedra (Ephedra) is officially banned as a negative impact on blood pressure and heart rate. Bitter orange is largely similar to ephedra, so it containing supplements should be taken with caution. Unfortunately, many of the side effects becomes known only after the hurt people.
Moreover, due to the absence of strict verification procedures truthfulness of the information on the labels of dietary supplements, many manufacturers claim that their product is harmless to health, although this statement and is not subject to testing. The main danger is extremely high content of certain ingredients. Migraines, indigestion and heart rhythm disturbances - these are just some of the effects of consumption of caffeine supplements. Moreover, as already mentioned, dietary supplements affect the metabolic system of the body, so they are not recommended for people with diabetes or cardiac disease.
As a rule, the real weight loss is necessary to take some quite incredible amount of additives. For example, to achieve the desired effect, ie, suppress your appetite, burn calories and speed up the production of energy, you need to drink several liters of green tea a day. Most additives even contain substances in quantities necessary to induce weight loss.
Remember that there is no universal one vitamin, mineral, herb or combination of promoting weight loss. According to test results, the majority of diet pills were ineffective. Fiber fills the consumption of fewer calories, but it is better still to replace pills and supplements rich in fiber foods. In general, the best way to lose weight - go on a healthy balanced diet and regularly engaged in fitness. This method is much more effective and safer than taking dietary supplements.
- the benefits and harms of products