Energy drinks: strengths and weaknesses
February 25, 2007
Energy drinks - a kind of soft drinks; they usually carbonated and contain high amounts of caffeine, sugar and additives such as vitamins, amino acids (such as taurine), and herbal stimulants such as guarana. Advertising of energy drinks is aimed primarily at customers who are in the age group of 18 to 30 years, and is associated with the product strength, speed, sexuality
Nine ways to experience their sexuality
And other characteristics attractive to this target group.
The first energy drinks on sale in Japan in the early 1960s; they are sold in bottles of dark glass, similar to those that sell drugs, or in aluminum cans in the style of such bottles.
Back in 1929 in the UK energy drink, presumably to speed recovery, was given to patients in hospitals. To get such drinks in the open sale of UK residents were only able to in the 1980s. In the United States began selling energy drinks in 1985.
In 1987 went on sale one of the most popular to date, energy drinks - Red Bull. Entrepreneur of the Austrian Dietrich Mateschitz adapted to the tastes of European consumers Thai energy drink Krating Daeng. Red Bull - Red Bull - is a literal translation of Krating Daeng. The main ingredient was the original Thai taurine - an amino acid that was first discovered in the body of bulls (probably, this fact gave rise to the urban legend, according to which the active ingredient in Red Bull is the urine or semen of bulls).
In the composition most energy drinks include methylxanthines (including caffeine), vitamins and herbs. Other commonly used ingredients - carbonated water, guarana, yerba mate, taurine, ginseng, maltodextrin, inositol, carnitine, creatine, glucuronolactone and ginkgo biloba. Many of them contain a lot of sugar, but released and "diet" of energy with various artificial sweeteners.
Energy drinks attributed to a number of different psychological and physiological effects. Some studies have shown that they significantly improve cognitive function and enhance concentration. Energy may temporarily remove the signs of fatigue and increase muscle endurance of the upper body. Abuse of energy drinks can cause mild to moderate euphoria (this is due to a stimulating effect of caffeine) as well as irritability, anxiety, irritability and insomnia.
For those who regularly consume energy drinks, should be careful. When you use a standard beverage cans daily dose of normal dose of caffeine will not be exceeded, but two or more cans - it is above the norm for most people. Regular abuse of caffeine can lead to problems such as nervousness, irritability, drowsiness, frequent urination, irregular and dyspepsia. Simultaneous use of energy drinks and some antidepressants, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, can cause dilated pupils in humans.
For a sharp burst of energy after consuming energy drinks often should at least sharp decline of forces. To dissolve a large amount of sugar into the bloodstream, large quantities of water, which is then excreted. This may cause dehydration.
According to the results of the 2010 study, energy drinks contain caffeine greater than strong coffee and additional ingredients, for example, taurine and guarana, enhance the effect of the substance. The use of energy drinks with alcohol can lead to irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure and even different mental processes.
Many countries regularly attempts to ban the sale of energy drinks. So, Red Bull is banned in France and the Philippines. British authorities issued an official warning about the dangers of any energy drink for pregnant women and children.
- Energy drinks perfectly uplifting and stimulating mental activity.
- Everyone can find an energy drink for your needs. In accordance with their purpose, energy drinks are conventionally divided into groups: some contain more caffeine, others - vitamins and carbohydrates. "Coffee" drinks suit complete, inveterate workaholics and students who have to work and study at night, and "vitamin-carbohydrate" - for active people who prefer to spend their free time in the gym.
- Energy drinks contain complex of vitamins and glucose. The benefits of vitamins know everything. Glucose quickly gets into the blood, it is involved in oxidative processes and provides energy to the muscles, brain and other vital organs.
- Action cup of coffee saved one - two hours, the effect of energy drink - hours 3 - 4. In addition, almost all energy drinks are carbonated, which speeds their action - it is their third difference from coffee.
- Thanks to a convenient package of energy drinks to carry with you and use in any situation (on the dance floor, in the car), which is not the coffee or tea.
- Energy drinks can be consumed in strict accordance with the dosage. The maximum dose - drink two cans per day. Excess doses can lead to high blood pressure level or blood glucose
Blood sugar - a very important indicator
- Energy drinks are officially banned in France, Denmark and Norway, where they are sold only in pharmacies, as they are considered a medicine. Recently, the Swedish authorities began investigating three deaths allegedly caused by consumption of energy drinks.
- Vitamins, contained in energy drinks can not replace multivitamin complex.
- People suffering from heart disease, hypo- or hypertension, you should not use energy drinks.
- The statement that an energy drink provides the body with energy, is unfounded. Content cherished bank only opens the door to internal reserves, ie It performs the function key, or rather, the master key. In other words, the drink itself does not contain any energy, but only uses our own. Thus, we use our own energy resources, in other words, we take in the energy of debt. But sooner or later have to repay the debt with interest, in the form of fatigue, insomnia, irritability,
Irritability - you try to control my temper
- Like any other stimulant caffeine contained in energy drinks, leads to the depletion of the nervous system. His action saved an average of three to five hours, after which the body needs rest. In addition, caffeine is addictive.
- The energy drink that contains a combination of glucose and caffeine is very harmful to a young body.
- Many energy drinks contain large amounts of vitamin B, which causes heart palpitations and tremors in the limbs.
- Fans of fitness should remember the outstanding diuretic properties of caffeine. This means that post-workout energy drink can not drink, because during training we are already losing a lot of fluid.
In case of exceeding the permissible dose is not excluded side effects: tachycardia
Tachycardia - the body to the limit?
, Agitation, increased anxiety, depression.
Energy drinks contain taurine and glucuronolactone. Taurine content several times higher than the allowable level, and the number of glucuronolactone contained in two banks of the beverage exceeds the daily rate nearly five hundred times. Even scientists do not know how these ingredients affect the body and how they interact with caffeine. Therefore, experts say that the safety of the use of such high doses of taurine and glucuronolactone is not yet determined, which requires further research.
Thus, a lot more minuses than pluses. And, nevertheless, it is possible that one day in your life situation arises (we hope only once) when you can not do without the energy drink. In this case, please read the rules of use of the drink in order to protect his beloved and only body.
- Do not exceed the daily dose of caffeine - that is, do not drink more than two cans of drink.
- When the action stops the drink, the body needs rest to recuperate.
- Do not drink energy drinks after sports trainings - as a sport, and drinks raise blood pressure.
- Energy drinks are contraindicated for pregnant women, children, adolescents, the elderly, people suffering from hypertension, cardiovascular disease, glaucoma, sleep disorders, irritability and sensitivity to caffeine.
- Caffeine is derived from the blood through a three to five hours, and then only half. Therefore, during this time you can not mix energy drinks and other beverages containing caffeine (coffee, tea) - otherwise you may exceed the permissible dose.
- Many drinks are high in calories. Energy drinks should be consumed just before exercise, not after it. If you perform strength exercises and do not try to lose weight may drink energy drinks before and after training.
- Energy drinks in any case should not be mixed with alcohol (which often do patrons of clubs). Caffeine increases the pressure, and the alcohol further enhances its effect. Result - unattractive prospect of a hypertensive crisis in a very short time.
- According to doctors, energy drinks - no more than a vitamin coffee substitutes, but more dangerous to health. Fruit juices and glucose, contained in many other products, have a similar effect. So choose - drink energy drinks or not. Or is it better to give preference to a cup of coffee with a favorite chocolate?