Modern citizen, went on nature only occasionally, rarely feels in the woods at home. It would seem, for the inhabitants of the metropolis lack of experience with nature is not so scary. But sometimes a lack of knowledge of botany and the use of unfamiliar berries in food can lead to tragedy: forest plants with inedible fruits are often poisonous.
Knowledge are not redundant
Art to distinguish edible from inedible plants are not taught in school. It seems that without this knowledge it is possible to do, but life is full of surprises. Picnicking, and even a simple walk in the woods can end sadly if appetizing berry, torn between business, would be poisonous. And in some situations, the ability to find food in the forest can be life-saving. There are many cases where people lost in the woods waiting for rescuers maintained its strength with the help of berries, mushrooms, and other plants.
If everyone knows at least some species of edible mushrooms and berries, some of them toxic congeners of information is much less. Yet it is the ability to give up the tasting of these plants can save lives.
It is better not to try
In forest glades and clearings in moist ravines adjacent to alder buckthorn often grows - tall shrub or tree, dotted with colorful berries. This plant blooms throughout the summer, so one tree can be seen at the same time the flower buds, flowers and berries of varying degrees of maturity: green, red and black.
These berries are often regale bears and birds, they are also used in folk medicine as a laxative (official medicine recognizes only the bark of buckthorn). But hardly anyone would want to experience the laxative effect of berries on a walk in the woods, so it is not necessary to feast buckthorn. Also, these berries cause nausea and vomiting.
Small shrub with bright red berries arranged in pairs - a honeysuckle Forest. This shrub is very attractive, it is often used as an ornamental plant. But you can not savor red berries: they cause diarrhea
Diarrhea (diarrhea) - a familiar nuisance
Nausea - there may be problems with the nervous system
and emesis. Many people confuse the forest with honeysuckle edible honeysuckle. This plant can be found in the Far East - from its inedible relative it differs blue oblong fruit with a waxy coating.
Sambucus racemosa - middle-sized shrub with red berries, gathered in the brush. These berries have an unpleasant odor and taste - a plant as if curious tasters warns that it is inedible. Lots of berries may be poisonous because of the high content of hydrocyanic acid. However, the desire to have large amounts of red elder with its unappetizing odor and unpleasant taste is usually no one there. In folk medicine, a decoction of the roots, branches and flowers of red elderberry is used to treat different diseases. The official medicine does not recognize this plant.
In the forest you can meet not only inedible to humans but poisonous berries. Meeting with the fruits may be life-threatening.
Berries cohosh or pigweed krasnoplodnogo hardly anyone wants to try - they smell very unpleasant. And rightly so, because of the high content of alkaloids in the plant is poisonous berries. Even getting juice cohosh may cause skin irritations and burns. Therefore, from small brushes black or bright red shiny berries cohosh is better to stay away.
Flowers lily of the valley - a true symbol of spring. Touching white bells with a delicate aroma poets dedicate poems and songs. But the lily - is not only delicate flowers, but also medicinal raw materials. Preparations made from this plant are effective in treating various cardiovascular diseases. Berries lily of the valley is easily poisoned. Early symptoms of poisoning - nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, are added to them hallucinations and confusion, impaired cardiac function. The lethal dose for a child - two or three berries lily of the valley.
Bittersweet - a medicinal plant. Berries him resemble miniature bright red tomatoes. So I want to try this "toy tomato", but this is not to be: in the nightshade bittersweet contains alkaloids. These substances can cause disruption of the heart, respiratory and nervous systems. Eat fruits nightshade medical purposes is possible only under medical supervision.
Belladonna (deadly nightshade) - a legendary plant. The juice of the berries in the old days buried in the beautiful eyes to the pupils expanded and acquired a special, alluring sheen. Belladonna grows usually hornbeam, beech, fir and oak forests. This herbaceous plant one or two meters is relatively rare. Atropine contained in shiny black berries of belladonna, causes swelling of the face, legs and arms, hallucinations, seizures. Death usually occurs from acute vascular failure and paralysis of the respiratory center.
Red, glowing from within like a shiny berries wolf bast look very tempting. Large berries among green foliage visible from afar. But try they can not be: the plant is poisonous and deadly. Even smell the wolf bast doctors do not recommend, and the juice of the plant may cause skin irritation and chemical burns. Symptoms: Pain in the stomach
Pain in the stomach when the body asks for help
, Diarrhea, vomiting. Death occurs from cardiac arrest. Lethal dose - 3-5 berries.
Finally, the most poisonous (and, unfortunately, very widespread) berry - crow's eyes. Large black shiny berries surrounded by four large leaves really is a bit like the eyes of a bird. The whole plant is poisonous, but the most dangerous single fruit, which is located on the top of the stem. Berry causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache,
Headache: Causes and Complications
and cardiac abnormalities up to the cardiac arrest.