Orthodontics - is a Greek word that literally means "straightening teeth". This kind of dental treatment, which aims to improve the appearance, position and function of twisted or misplaced teeth. To do this, use special orthodontic devices, such as braces.
Who needs orthodontics
Orthodontics may be needed if problems such as overbite, cross bite, excessive incisal overlap, too much space between teeth, and so on.
It is important to begin to deal with these disorders as early as possible, as early as adolescence, they can lead to various psychological problems. However, adults are not too late to take advantage of orthodontics. If a person is shy smile and tries to talk so that his teeth were as inconspicuous as possible, is a sure sign of the need for treatment.
In addition, the crooked teeth is much harder to clean, which is why they are more prone to tooth decay and other dental diseases.
As a rule, dental examination at the age of seven years, reveals the existence of problems, which require orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontic treatment usually takes place in two stages - the active correction of anomalies and the outcomes. For example, after wearing the braces
Braces: Proper installation - a pledge of a beautiful smile
the patient must be long enough to wear retainers. In some cases, for example in the presence of extra teeth, it can be used surgery.
Features orthodontic treatment
- Duration. Orthodontic treatment takes a long time. The exact duration depends on the type of treatment, the type and severity of the problem, but in most cases it lasts six months to two or three years. Generally, adult treatment takes more time than teenagers and children.
- Discomfort. While wearing orthodontic appliances man washes discomfort, both physical and psychological. However, that treatment is successful, you must follow all instructions of the physician, bearing in mind that, if successful, results last a lifetime. In the case of treatment failure will happen the same.
- Care. Brushing teeth with a toothbrush
Toothbrushes - make no mistake in choosing
and thread for orthodontic devices will take longer than usual. In addition, the patient must give up the hard and sticky foods (such as candy). From the patients who undergo orthodontic treatment requires strict observance of the rules for the maintenance of oral hygiene. Otherwise, the effectiveness of treatment significantly reduced.
To what expert to address?
If you merge wrong tooth rows, grow crooked teeth or between the teeth have a gap, you will need to turn to the orthodontist. Orthodontist - a specialist in the problems of congenital dental system changes and related changes in the configuration of the face.
Causes of dentofacial anomalies and the possibility of correcting them
Causes of congenital anomalies may be lurking in heredity, in violation of development and dentition
Teething: hard times
, Into bad habits, different diseases, injuries. Currently, orthodontists use in their work with such techniques which allow to correct the majority of malformations dentition. And those anomalies that are not amenable to such a correction, are treated in conjunction with the maxillofacial surgeons.
What are the inherent change of dental system
- Anomalies of dental systems are divided on the anomalies of the teeth, dentition and occlusion. Anomalies of dental systems are often combined with changes in the configuration of the face and common disorders of the body.
- Anomalies of teeth: the change in the (giant, small), the provisions of (different types of misalignment of teeth), the timing of eruption (premature, delayed eruption), the structure of hard tissues (high and low abrasion), shape (spinous and ugly teeth) and the number of teeth ( complete or partial absence of teeth).
- Anomalies dentition - a change in the shape and length of the dentition, it is usually associated with abnormalities of the teeth and causes changes in the bite.
- Malocclusion - a deviation from the normal relationship between dental arches of the upper and lower jaw.
Features of human dental system used in orthodontics
If the tooth is not strong prolonged pressure, it is displaced in a predetermined direction, and the wall of its hole tooth gradually dissolves, giving the possibility of such movement of the tooth. If the tooth stops moving (the pressure is removed), next to it, a new bone that does not give him the opportunity to become loose. This feature of the dental system allows correction of anomalies of dental system through a variety of orthodontic appliances.
For the first time in an orthodontist's office
When you first visit the orthodontist determines whether a person has an anomaly of dental system, which is the degree of its severity and how it is best to adjust.
Some believe that the correction can be carried out only in childhood, but it is wrong, it can be done at any age, just as a child all the processes in the body occur faster. If there is a suspicion of an anomaly of dental system, the child should be as soon as possible to show the orthodontist, and he will decide whether he needs a correction, what and at what age.
Devices that adjusts the position of the teeth
Orthodontic devices by which the correction of dental system, divided into removable and non-removable.
Removable devices for the correction of dental system used mainly in children and are removable plastic plate for the upper or lower jaw. On teeth, they are held by special hooks wire. Child can withdraw the record, and then wear.
Fixed orthodontic devices are glued to the teeth with special glue, and are constantly in the mouth. For example, braces, which have a slight constant pressure on the tooth, moving it in the right direction.
Oral hygiene while wearing orthodontic appliances
Orthodontic devices installed to correct dental system, have to wear for a long time, making it difficult to oral hygiene. A lack of hygiene contributes to inflammation in the oral cavity that can negate all treatment. Therefore, the orthodontist teaches patients undergoing correction of teeth, proper oral hygiene
Oral hygiene - not only in the dentist's chair
Prospects for the development of orthodontics
Orthodontics - an exact science. In order to establish the correct orthodontic device, you need a mathematical calculation, otherwise you can not only correct the anomaly, but even more harm. Since dental system anomalies occur very often, orthodontics is developing very fast: to invent new adhesive formulations, plastics, metal compounds, which are used in the correction, carried out mathematical calculations when you install corrective devices to study the motion of the jaw and the pressure on the teeth.