How to treat a cold on the lips - to get rid of herpes
July 18, 2014
For many people, a cold on the lips - unpleasant, but not dangerous disorder that does not stop going to work and daily activities, but there are exceptions. How to treat a cold on the lips?
Cold on the lips - whether to go to the doctor?
In some cases, primary infection with herpes not only leads to herpetic eruptions on the lips, but also to the appearance of symptoms such as fever, bleeding gums
How to prevent bleeding gums: important rules
, Enlarged tonsils, and the formation of painful blisters in the oral cavity (gingivostomatitis) and sometimes in the nose. These symptoms may persist for two to six weeks, and with them it is better to consult a doctor - he may prescribe medication that will speed recovery. It should be noted that the majority of people with primary infection with herpes have no symptoms either, and they may be unaware that they are infected, as long as they have for the first time appears cold on the lips.
Repeated acute herpes in most cases occur with only mild symptoms. The common cold on the lips is not accompanied by fever and other symptoms, and takes no more than ten days.
However, if the aggravation caused extensive damage (such as blisters appear not only on the lips, but also on the skin around the mouth or nose), or if the herpes activated more than three times over the past six months, you should talk to your doctor. Frequent exacerbations are often observed in people with diseases that cause immune deficiency, as well as those who are going on a course of chemotherapy, or takes a long time corticosteroids. In such cases, a special treatment to prevent complications of herpes.
How to cure a cold on the lip
At home, for the treatment of colds at bay
Cold on the lip - to solve the problem
You can use these tools:
- Cold compresses. They are applied to the mouth for twenty minutes three times a day to relieve redness and inflammation;
- Paracetamol, ibuprofen, and aspirin relieve pain in herpes sores, and help with general malaise, sometimes experienced by patients during exacerbations of herpes;
- Ointments with acyclovir or dokonazolom. These antiviral drugs do not help very quickly cure a cold at bay, but they can speed up the healing process for a day or two. To effect was maximum, you need to start to use the ointment as soon as the first symptoms of acute oral herpes. Before and after applying the ointment, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
It is also advised to avoid foods that contain large amounts of acids, such as tomatoes and oranges - they can aggravate the pain of cold, especially if the bubbles have burst on the lips, and if not at least a little time to heal.
In the most severe cases, to treat colds lips applied antiviral tablets for oral administration are usually acyclovir
Acyclovir - as it is safe?
He, like other drugs, does not cure herpes, but it reduces the symptoms and helps to avoid complications. If oral acyclovir may experience side effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, muscle aches, loss of coordination, headache, dizziness, light swelling of hands and feet.
How to remove the cold at bay folk remedies
There are many folk remedies for the treatment of oral herpes. Listed below are those whose effectiveness has been confirmed by scientific research. It should again be noted that none of them does not help to get rid of a cold for a couple of days - these drugs is just not - but they can make the symptoms much less pronounced.
- Melissa. This plant - yasnotkovyh representative of the family, whose members include herbs such as rosemary, basil, mint, sage
Sage - cvyaschennaya grass
, Thyme and marjoram. All of these plants, in addition to a pleasant aroma and flavor, have healing properties. Researchers who have studied the application of the ointment with extracts of lemon balm for the treatment of cold on the lips, came to the conclusion that the performance is comparable with acyclovir. You can buy the ointment for the treatment or use a decoction of lemon balm. Pour two teaspoons of chopped fresh or dried lemon balm leaves one cup of boiling water and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes. Strain the broth, soak them a cotton ball and apply it to the affected area of the skin for twenty minutes. Repeat several times a day until symptoms disappear acute herpes.
- Green tea is a rich source of antioxidants and may restrict reproduction of herpes simplex virus. During exacerbations recommended to drink at least two cups of green tea a day and put it to his lips gauze soaked with green tea.
- Med. In one study, people who applied to medical herpes, cold on the lips is faster than those who did not use any medication. On average, honey accelerates recovery only one day, but it also facilitates oral herpes symptoms - when used blisters are smaller and less painful, besides, reduces the chance of spreading the virus to other areas of the skin.
How to treat a cold on the lips - proven tools
July 22, 2014
Cold on the lips - not dangerous, but very unpleasant disease that is very common in all regions of the world. Researchers estimate that about one-third of infected with herpes simplex virus type 1 from time to time there is a cold. The majority of these patients might be at least two episodes a year, but in 5-10% of these acute herpes occur more than six times a year. How to treat a cold on the lips?
How to treat a cold on the lips
Ointment acyclovir (5%) is often recommended for patients in whom there was a cold on the lips, but its effectiveness in the treatment of this disorder is uncertain. Studies have shown that by using an ointment comprising acyclovir
Acyclovir - as it is safe?
, Cold passes, an average of 0.5-0.6 days faster than without the treatment (typically in situ skin herpetic lesions completely healed after 7-10 days). Perhaps the reason for this poor performance is that you need to start using the ointment as soon as there are first, barely visible signs of oral herpes, and patients do not always pay attention to them.
Dokonazolom ointment (10%). N-dokanazol - a substance which, according to the results of the study can be an effective remedy for this violation. Study participants applied the ointment five times a day for as long as the common cold is not completely gone. As is the case with acyclovir treatment started as soon as the earliest symptoms of herpes - itching and tingling of the skin of the lips.
Penciclovir ointment is considered more effective treatment for herpes with acyclovir than ointments. It may reduce the time course of the disease, on average, two of the day, but also with the proviso that the patient will begin to use it early enough.
Acyclovir tablets for oral administration. Studies have shown that intake of 200-400 mg acyclovir five times a day can get rid of cold on the lips of 1-1.5 days earlier than in the absence of any treatment. Most patients do not prescribe this medication, it may be necessary only for those who have acute oral herpes happen very often, or patients and immunocompromised.
Used as tablets valacyclovir and famciclovir, but do not expect that such treatment of cold on the lips quickly will result - not yet invented a tool that would help get rid of it a couple of days.
Combination therapy: acyclovir ointment and hydrocortisone
Hydrocortisone - a drug that could save the life of the patient
(1%). As with other treatments, combination therapy is recommended to start with the appearance of the slightest sign of herpes. Studies in humans, which has been assigned such therapy, cold lips disappeared on average nine days, and the patients in the control group - in 10.1 days.
Home remedies for the treatment of cold on the lips
The following drugs can relieve the symptoms of oral herpes and a little speed up its treatment.
- Vaseline. During exacerbations of herpes keep a petrolatum, and regularly anoint them cold on the lips. It softens the surface of herpetic lesions, without letting them dry out and crack - it often causes severe discomfort during the activation of herpes episodes. Be sure to wash your hands every time after applying Vaseline to the lips;
- Garlic. Apply to blisters on the lips of garlic juice
Garlic health: almost a panacea
Or apply them cotton wool soaked in the juice. Once the blisters burst, use this tool is not necessary - it will cause a very painful;
- Tincture of witch hazel. Moisten tincture piece of cotton or gauze and apply it to the bay, where there are signs of acute herpes for several minutes. Do this four or five times a day. Try to keep the liquor did not get on a healthy skin - it can overdry it and cause irritation;
- Aloe. Aloe
Aloe - its amazing healing properties
often used for treatment of minor scratches, burns and certain types of skin rash. It can also relieve the symptoms of cold on the lips, and often helps to quickly get rid of it. Squeeze the juice from the aloe leaf, and several times a day and anoint them appeared blisters on the lips. Remember that the aloe juice is not harmful, but it is very bitter, so try to use it so that it does not fall into your mouth.
- Zinc ointment whose main component is zinc oxide, have long been used to treat colds lips. Apply it on the lips daily until cold symptoms disappear. Simultaneously, it is possible to use ointments or gels containing anesthetics such as lidocaine.