Bouts of aggression in Alzheimer's disease
June 16, 2012
Outbreaks of aggression mainly observed in patients in the late stages of the disease. Man becomes excitable and irritable, gets angry and scolds for no apparent reason. This is manifested in sending a curses, insults and loud cries. Verbal abuse - a typical phenomenon in this disease than assault and battery, but many patients may throw things, to resist, to push and strike the people who care for them.
What are the causes of outbreaks of aggression?
It is not known what exactly are the causes of aggressive behavior. Such demeanor can be a direct consequence of Alzheimer's disease, but also can be expressed in this way the patient's response to the actions of others or external stimuli.
Understanding the factors initiating aggression
Outbreaks of aggression in patients occur quite suddenly, for no apparent reason. Often the people who care for the sick, can themselves identify the factors that trigger such behavior. Understanding the essence of this phenomenon, it is possible to reduce the level of frustration of the patient, the frequency of outbreaks of aggression and temper tantrums.
The following are the most common types of stimuli to which patients react:
- The discomfort associated with lack of sleep
Dreams: how to understand our dreams
, Side effects of drugs or making sense of the pain that a person is not able to describe.
- Ambient conditions, noisy environments around the fuss and panic around the patient also apply to basic stimuli.
- The inability to understand what was wanted of him, a large number of issues, irritation when trying to help - all this has a negative impact on the psyche of the patient.
How to reduce the likelihood of attacks of aggression?
A clear understanding of the reasons for the inadequate behavior of the patient makes it possible to prevent the outbreak of aggression or make them less severe.
We advise to heed the following recommendations:
- Try to avoid situations that can cause the patient discomfort, excessive arousal disorder.
- Do not bother the patient's questions, do not put in front of it too complicated tasks and conversations lead to unpleasant topics. By following these steps, you can reduce the risk of irritation or dissatisfaction with your ward. Try not to create a fuss, noise, avoid sudden movements.
- Do not argue. People suffering from Alzheimer's disease, live in their own world, their representations of reality are very different from what we see. Do not try to challenge their statements speak and ask questions in a calm tone.
- Try to talk to them often about the past. The strong influence of Alzheimer's disease has a short-term memory. It is much easier and less painful to the patient's memory of the events is a restoration of the past, it does not cause such problems as, for example, a story about what they watched on TV the night before.
- Use stimulants memory. As the disease progresses the person more difficult to remember what the daily activities, and how to perform certain actions, such as brushing your teeth
How to brush your teeth: interesting facts
or dress. A small reminder notes to prominently helps patients navigate.
Caring for people with Alzheimer's disease is not easy. Is near, helping the patient 24 hours a day - hard work that affects the emotional state of a guardian. Extinction of a loved one causes sadness and despair. There is nothing surprising in the fact that the people who help patients with Alzheimer's disease feel somewhat isolated from society and suffer depression. Many hold these feelings in themselves, which leads to a sharp and irritable behavior in relation to the patient, in some cases, verbal and physical abuse.
If it so happened that you had to take care of a person suffering from Alzheimer's, do yourself and your ward good service. Do not hesitate to seek help if you happen to periods of depression
Depression - a little more than a bad mood
, Anxiety, irritability
Irritability - you try to control my temper
or you feel a lack of energy. Do not ignore these phenomena, it is important for you and for the person who is dependent on your help.
Migraine and work: how to cope with the workers of duties in the period pain
September 24, 2012
If you suffer on the job of a headache, then chances are that you will not be able to perform their duties in full and at the right speed. To tell you the boss that you are severe headaches? How to deal with migraines in the workplace?
How to prevent a headache at work
Unfortunately, people who do not suffer from migraines, consider it not a serious problem. You are unlikely to explain to employees how hard you have to.
The best way to deal with migraine
I have a migraine. What to do?
at work - to avoid it, experts say.
If you have not figured out that it's time to find out what triggers your migraines - events or circumstances, due to which the headache begins. You may find it easier to figure out that if you keep a diary of his being. So you can understand, it helps you to cope with a headache, and what causes it.
If you have a migraine at work
Doctors recommend taking the medicine as soon as you start an attack. It should keep you on the appropriate analgesic - anti-inflammatory drugs or specific migraine drugs. Do not use sedatives on the job.
If possible, get out of your office and wait in some quiet place, yet the drug will not work.
Do not take a job potent substances. Also, do not take the medication in working time, which you've never tried to use before.
Ten ways to keep under control the triggers of headaches
Many of the works in nature can strengthen headaches in migraine sufferers. Try to reduce the impact of triggers associated with the work. Here are some tips:
- Drink more water. Dehydration often causes headaches
- Limit the use of caffeine. It leads to dehydration and acts as a diuretic. And the caffeine itself can be a trigger for some people.
- Refrain from salty foods. Or do you have to drink more water.
- Take care of the possibility to replace you. At work that requires attention to every minute (the teacher, the operator call center), it may be difficult to move for a few minutes. Agree with the manager or co-workers who could replace you for a few minutes, if you have a migraine attack.
- Do not skip meals. Hunger - another common trigger. It is easy to forget about dinner, if you are very busy at work. But it is a serious mistake. Be sure to take breaks for lunch and keep on hand is what you can eat during the day. It's better if it's not sweet, and something useful - nuts, protein bar, fruit.
- Dim triggers. If you cause a headache
Headache: Causes and Complications
monitor screen glare or odor perfume colleagues, try to minimize their impact. Use anti-glare screen, if possible, Odakyu away from bright light or strong odors.
- Sit properly. If you work in an office, do not forget about ergonomics. You can help even such a simple thing as the correct monitor tilt. If you do not have to lift up or lower his head to look at the screen may improve your condition.
- Control your stress
How to beat stress? Create an oasis
. Stress - the most frequent trigger of migraine. Try to reduce the amount of stress associated with the job. There are simple techniques that help - for example, distribute work tasks for the day, and do not try to do everything at once.
- Take breaks. A change of scenery, go for a walk. You can catch a glimpse at the express manicure or a neck massage in a nearby cabin. If you can not escape from the office, just try to go out of the table. If you spend much time on the computer, take a break for 15 minutes every two hours.
- Plan your holiday. If you are constantly under pressure, it is important to set aside time to rest. Do not put off a vacation. If you can not afford to leave for a long time, to arrange a mini-vacation, for example, taking a day off.
Lee says the boss and colleagues?
In general, share the professional sphere and personal life - a good idea. But if your seizures can affect the quality of your work, you may want to dedicate superiors and colleagues in your problems.
If you decide to tell employees about migraine, consider how best to do it. Tell me, or all, or none. If you tell only part of colleagues, it will look correct. Talking does not go into the medical details or attempt to cause self-pity.
If you are concerned that the authorities are not imbued with sympathy, ask your doctor a certificate, which will be described your condition and possible triggers associated with the work.
In the event that your colleagues and head of sympathy to you, try not to abuse it. Do not dump their responsibilities on others, do not miss the work and do not leave early too often. Otherwise, sooner or later you will start instead of the sympathy cause irritation.