Heartburn during pregnancy - an unpleasant, but neibezhny symptom?
March 7, 2010
Pregnancy woman fries a lot of new experiences, not just pleasant. For example, acid reflux or as it is often called - heartburn during pregnancy is very common, even in women who have never encountered this problem. In the third trimester of pregnancy, approximately three-quarters of women in varying degrees, suffer from heartburn.
Heartburn is characterized by a burning sensation in the esophagus. At the end of the esophagus, on which the food enters the stomach, it is a sphincter. Normally, it remains closed to stomach acid and undigested food in the stomach remained. Sometimes the sphincter is opened and gastric juice rises up the esophagus, causing burning.
What causes heartburn in pregnancy?
Firstly, during pregnancy in the body significantly increases the level of progesterone
Progesterone - norm and pathology
. This hormone has a relaxing effect on the muscles to help the body prepares for childbirth. Unfortunately, he does not act selectively, and relaxes all the muscles, including the sphincter. For this reason, the gastric juice penetrates more easily into the esophagus.
Secondly, as the baby grows in the uterus begins to varying degrees of pressure on the internal organs, including - in the gastrointestinal tract. Due to this pressure, gastric juice frequently thrown from the stomach into the esophagus.
How to reduce the symptoms of heartburn?
- Avoid food triggers. Some women during pregnancy heartburn occurs no matter what they eat. For others it causes certain foods. As a rule, to appear less heartburn, you need to reduce the consumption of fatty foods, chocolate, coffee and cola. Alcohol and cigarettes, which can also be triggers of heartburn, in any case, should be excluded from the diet of a pregnant woman.
- Eat moderately. Eating large meals puts additional pressure on the sphincter. It is recommended to eat 4-5 times a day in small portions. And, in spite of increased appetite during pregnancy, it should be remembered that over-eating is one of the main triggers of heartburn.
- Use gravity. Do not lie down to rest after eating, even if you have the opportunity. When you are in an upright position, the force of gravity prevents the gastric fluid to penetrate the esophagus. Since the attacks of heartburn often occur at night, sleeping, resting under his head for at least two pillows - it will also help to prevent acid reflux.
- Watch your weight. Weight gain during pregnancy is normal; however, this rule has its limits. Retention weight within certain limits help to minimize pressure on the organs of the digestive system.
- Do not wear tight clothes. It puts pressure on the stomach and can contribute to the emergence of another bout of heartburn.
- In most cases pregnant women can cope with heartburn with these simple measures. However, in some cases, the symptoms of heartburn are so strong that you may need medication. One of the most popular non-prescription for the treatment of acid reflux are antacids. Like any other medication during pregnancy they should be used with extreme care and only with the approval of a physician.
- Antacids containing aluminum and calcium are considered dangerous to treat heartburn during pregnancy. In the last trimester of pregnancy should avoid antacids containing magnesium. During pregnancy should avoid taking antacids containing sodium bicarbonate as a substance is unsafe for both the mother and child.
What can enhance heartburn
There are several factors that may exacerbate heartburn. Knowing about them, a pregnant woman may be partly to improve their health:
- the stomach may be further squeezed tight clothing, so wear a pregnant woman should be free;
- slopes, especially after a meal, be sure to cause heartburn;
- stresses, during which the allocated adrenaline, promote increased secretion of gastric juice.
To prevent the occurrence of heartburn from time to time during the day you need to rest in the supine position with a raised upper body, it helps to reduce the pressure on the stomach from the uterus;
A pregnant woman is better not to use drugs, to replace them with proper nutrition can help
Proper nutrition - the basic precepts of healthy food
- you need to eat small, frequent meals, better than five times a day; after a meal should not go to bed, it is better to stand up or hiking, it contributes to a more rapid evacuation of food from the stomach; dinner is best for two hours before bedtime
Dreams: how to understand our dreams
, Walk the field eating outdoors;
- in the diet of women should be products that have an alkaline reaction: milk, cream, cheese, scrambled eggs, boiled meat, fish, butter and vegetable oil;
- dishes of vegetables should be eaten boiled or mashed form, in the form of mashed potatoes, baked apples are better;
- Products must be present to facilitate the easy indulgence of the chair (dairy products, vegetables, fruit), as any straining leads to an increase of intrauterine pressure to throw the acidic gastric contents into the esophagus and the appearance of heartburn;
- if a woman can tolerate freshwater milk (some adults do not have the enzyme for its processing, so the reception of milk is always a violation of the digestive system), it is good to repay heartburn after drinking half a glass of milk; the same effect in the fresh potato juice or an alkaline mineral water (it should be pre-open and free of gas);
- well prevent heartburn mucous soups, cereal, jelly: mucous membrane of the stomach as it is covered by a protective film;
- a salad of grated carrots can reduce the discomfort;
- ginger powder can be used as a seasoning for various dishes or fresh ginger root (chew with heartburn);
- should be excluded from the food products that can stimulate the production of gastric juice: all spicy, fatty, smoked, sour, coffee, strong tea, sour vegetables, fruits and berries.
Any medical treatment during pregnancy can only be prescribed by a doctor. In order to reduce the acidity of used drugs, which neutralize the gastric juice, while not being absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract (e.g. taltsid). Bready soda during pregnancy is not recommended to take: in its connection with the acidic gastric juice stand gases, which stimulates the production of gastric juice.
Many people know that the removal of unpleasant sensations in the area of the gastrointestinal tract is used papaverine
Papaverine - for pain caused by spasms of smooth muscles
and no-silos, which relax the smooth muscles of internal organs; but here it is just the opposite: heartburn from these drugs will only increase, because the esophageal sphincter, and so relaxing, relax even more.