Vomiting in children under one year: do not panic!
June 17, 2011
Vomiting - common among children. Vomiting called physiological act O food mass and other substances from the stomach by a reverse movement. Vomiting - a reflex mechanism to protect the body of the child from harmful germs or substances. However, vomiting is a danger to the child's health, especially small, since it may lose too much fluid and salt. This phenomenon is known as dehydration or dehydration. Its child's body is dehydrated, its organs, including the heart, can not operate normally. To prevent dehydration, give your child plenty of fluids to compensate for fluid loss from vomiting.
Causes of vomiting in children
Vomiting in small children may be caused by various reasons, including:
- Food poisoning. Food poisoning occurs when a child's consumption of food containing harmful bacteria (germs). Poisoning is also accompanied by fever, weakness, apathy and lack of appetite.
- Diseases of other organs of the body. In most cases, vomiting is a symptom of another disease, such as infectious diseases of the ears, lungs, and bladder
Urinary bladder - structure and function
. Vomiting also may be a sign of head trauma (eg, concussion) or appendicitis.
- Pilorospazm. Pilorospazm - a spasm of the pylorus (at the border of the stomach and duodenum), which prevents the regular emptying of the stomach. Most often it occurs in children younger than four months. The vomit may contain streaks of bile.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): The esophagus - the tube that connects the mouth to the stomach and consists of muscle layers that expand and contract, pushing food into the stomach. In the lower part of the esophagus, where it joins the stomach, there is a ring of muscle, relaxation which allows food to enter the stomach and delays closure food in the stomach, preventing its throw back into the esophagus. Incomplete closing of muscular ring fluid from the stomach is thrown back into the esophagus, and there is acid reflux. If the acid starts to damage the esophagus, gastroesophageal reflux disease develops, which can cause frequent vomiting after feeding.
- Pyloric stenosis. Pyloric stenosis - a disease resulting from malformation pyloric part of the stomach, which is characterized by impaired gastric evacuation. With pyloric stenosis vomiting occurs infrequently but regularly, and accompanied by constipation and infrequent urination. Treatment for pyloric stenosis surgery exclusively.
How to help your child at home?
- Give the child to rest until he feels better.
- Contact your pediatrician if your child is showing signs of dehydration, such as:
within twenty-four hour period, you change the baby more than five diapers. When dehydration child feels dry mouth, his chapped lips
Chapped lips - lips look after properly
. At strong dehydration of the child becomes lethargic, listless and weak or, on the contrary, more restless than usual. When dehydration eyes and "soft spot" on top of the child's fall, the skin becomes wrinkled and pale hands and feet.
- Give your child plenty of drink
- the best way to prevent dehydration - to give the child to drink plenty, even if vomiting continues. Pediatricians recommend giving your child oral rehydration solution containing salt, sugar, minerals and nutrients.
- give your child one to two teaspoons of oral rehydration solution every ten or fifteen minutes. If the child does not vomit solution slowly give him a little money. Do not force your child to drink by force, or vomiting is inevitable.
- If vomiting is not more than eight hours, you can give your child a small amount of the mixture. Start with small servings, gradually increasing the amount of food. Feeding should be frequent. You can also start giving your child soft foods in small amounts that he had already got used to it.
- If vomiting is not within twenty-four hours, you can resume normal feeding.
- Put the baby on his stomach or side. This can prevent vomit in his airways and lungs.
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water. Hand washing helps prevent the spread of germs. Do not forget to wash your hands after changing diapers and before feeding.
When you need to see a doctor
- The child has a high body temperature.
- Over time, the vomiting persists or worsens.
- The child does not want or can not drink oral rehydration solution, or the solution ineffective.
- The child starts vomiting after feeding fountain.
- A child under the age of four months, vomiting, regurgitation differs from the usual.
- When should you seek medical advice immediately
- Vomiting lasts for a long time, the baby does not take liquids that you give him.
- If signs of dehydration in children.
- If vomiting contains blood or bile (resembles coffee grounds).
- The child behaves unusually, or looks very ill.
- Do you have reason to suspect a child poisoning.
- The child does not respond to your questions can not tilt your head (neck stiffness), or complains of a headache
Headache: Causes and Complications
- The child has a stomach ache, and vomiting does not bring him relief.
- The child complains of pain when urinating.
- The child is having trouble breathing.
Vomiting frightens not only the children but also their parents. Indeed, it is a dangerous condition, especially in children under one year, and requires certain actions. Vomiting in children under one year can be caused by various factors.
Rules of behavior of parents in a child with vomiting
After feeding the baby
Breastfeeding - a personal choice
always have to rotate his head to one side, especially when he is in bed, because there is a risk to inhale vomit, it is dangerous to the development of aspiration pneumonia and even death.
If vomiting occurs the child should take the hands by turning face down and holding his head over his forehead, and ensure that the child does not aspirate vomit. The behavior of the adults must be calm.
After vomiting, the child should reassure, to wash and warm. Give drink a small amount of warm water.
If the vomiting being the child has not improved within ten to fifteen minutes, seek medical advice.
Diaper rash in a child and how to fight them
September 4, 2012
Diaper rash in children occur quite often, but it does not mean that it's okay. This problem is in any case should not be ignored.
Many parents do not know that there are many tools that can prevent the occurrence of diaper rash or eliminate them in the initial stages, if they have already appeared. These tools include baby powder, corn starch and all kinds of diaper rash creams.
Compliance with the simplest of preventive measures will save you from trouble, and your baby from the discomfort and unpleasant sensations.
Of course, this does not mean that you will need to change diapers on the clock every five minutes. You just need to ensure that the diapers do not accumulate too much content, it gives kids a lot of trouble and affects their mood.
As soon as you notice that the baby went to diapers, change them as soon as possible. Do not leave your child in wet nappies and stale - it is not only uncomfortable for the baby, but the causes of diaper rash, and in general a negative effect on the delicate skin baby soft.
Use special creams and ointments from diaper rash
Every time the baby diaper changing, apply a small amount of cream or ointment to the buttocks and groin baby. Thus, you will create a water-repellent barrier to prevent the penetration of particles of faeces into the skin.
At each change of diaper sure to wipe the ass and crotch baby wipe. After cleaning the skin from the previously applied a cream or ointment, grease trouble spots again.
Before applying the cream should be thoroughly cleanse the skin, so that it rests not accumulate in the folds of the skin and cause irritation.
Baby powder and cornstarch
Proper and regular use of these simple tools will help avoid chafing.
Free baby diapers, apply a small amount of powder on the skin that are most prone to diaper rash. Powder and cornstarch to absorb excess moisture, ass baby remains dry and clean, even if it is in the diaper.
At night you can apply a little more powder than during the day, as the night the child is in the same diaper for longer than usual.
For the treatment and prevention of diaper rash can be applied cream or ointment for diaper rash and baby powder at the same time, the main thing is first to apply a thin layer of cream, then sprinkle it with powder, but not vice versa.