Postpartum depression - normal or not? - How to distinguish between "normal" bad mood from postpartum depression?
January 21, 2007
- Postpartum depression - normal or not?
- How to distinguish between "normal" bad mood from postpartum depression?
How to distinguish between "normal" bad mood from postpartum depression?
If the psychological changes in the nature of the newly-minted mom hardly fit into the norm, this may be several reasons: chronic sleep deprivation (a huge impact on your mood and attitude towards others), physical discomfort or illness, postpartum pregnancy, increased anxiety
Anxiety - how to distinguish normal from disease?
, Obsessive-compulsive disorder and postpartum psychosis.
According to doctors, postpartum depression are subject to five to seven out of ten women. Typically, post-partum depression - a slight and temporary conduct disorder, which occurs in the third or fourth day after birth, and reaches its climax on the fourth or fifth day. The most common symptom of postpartum depression - crying for no reason. Also not ruled out flushes of energy and love for others, which are replaced by melancholy and despair. Other symptoms - mild irritability, anger and hostility, constant headaches, feeling of unreality, exhaustion and devastation, as well as the unrelenting anxiety. The list of symptoms is also required to include a sleep disorder
Dreams: how to understand our dreams
- Is indispensable companions of women in the sequence of depression.
Easy postpartum depression usually goes away without any interference and without a trace in two weeks; If the symptoms and after this period, the diagnosis should be reconsidered. Help friends and relatives, for example, help in caring for the baby, to help the young mother's sleep and help with household chores or tips on caring for your baby can support its fallen spirit. Women who once survived postnatal pregnancy, this situation often recur in subsequent pregnancies.
If the symptoms of mild depression last longer than two put on, the disease becomes severe. And what if the woman loses all control of himself? Then we are dealing with a "post-partum psychosis." It is a rare complication of postpartum depression, which occurs in one - two out of a hundred women survivors of the DWP. It is possible that postpartum psychosis associated with bipolar disorder (ie manikalno-depressive psychosis); it often occurs in women suffering from schizophrenia or mental disorder that has not been diagnosed before birth. The first symptoms (delusions of persecution, the most severe depression or schizophrenic symptoms) postpartum psychosis appear two weeks after the birth. In addition to all the symptoms of the DWP, in patients with postpartum psychosis
Postpartum psychosis - a myth or harsh reality?
also happens to delusions and hallucinations on the subject of the child. Often when this mother feels fear for the child and believes that it is constantly exposed to mortal danger.
Treatment for postpartum depression
Treatment for postpartum depression begins with ... a correct diagnosis; in some cases, the mere definition of "disorder" manifested by symptoms, can improve the well-being of women and little to calm her. Treatment for postpartum depression should be both medical and psychological. Before you diagnose the DWP, you should consider the physical conditions (such as diseases of the pituitary or thyroid gland). The heaviest and most difficult to cure a symptom Tx - sleep disorders.
After diagnosing the DWP can be very effective be group psychotherapy. Also useful training for child care, support and care of relatives and friends, as well as recommendations for feeding a baby. Highly effective medical treatment that does not require stopping breastfeeding. Despite the fact that anti-depressants still get into breast milk, there is no evidence that they are harmful to health and well-baby (but antidepressants should be sure to discuss with your doctor).
Tips to combat postpartum depression:
- Immediately consult a doctor as soon as you notice the first symptoms of the DWP. The doctor will make the program's disease. Follow her!
- Regularly communicate with your doctor. Tell your doctor about any new symptoms or side effects of drugs.
- Try to deal with stress
How to beat stress? Create an oasis
. Many of the symptoms of the DWP, and manifestations of motherhood, unpredictable and emotionally debilitating. We are programmed to pay attention to all power and a child - do not forget that the child first and foremost need a healthy and loving mother.
- Ask the father of the child and family to help you in taking care of the child. Separate duties.
- Do not be ashamed to ask for help if you need it. It is not a confession of weakness. It only says that you are a man, and nothing human ...
- Housework can wait; HOME is your responsibility - how to sleep.
- The existence of the DWP, its symptoms and treatment need to know every woman who has given birth or just getting ready for it. The main thing - to know that postpartum depression is treatable.
Birth in water - bigotry against common sense - of the process and the potential hazards
April 22, 2010
- Birth in water - bigotry against common sense
- The process of the possible dangers and
The history of the method of childbirth in water
For the first time this method has appeared recently, about forty years ago, and the slice is acquired notoriety. Followers of the method claimed that it is the most physiologic and least traumatic method for both mother and child.
Despite the fact that the method of management of labor in the water from a scientific point of view, had still not fully understood, and today there is a certain percentage of women who want to risk their lives and the life of the child. In Russia, such a desire is often due to the fact that many new mothers to maternity hospitals are rude and medical care itself is not always enough professional. Therefore, the "miracle of birth in the water" still attracts women of a certain temperament (the ability to bring their beliefs to fanaticism). But these women is getting smaller, is gradually coming to realize that a technique invented and no natural roots in nature does not have: no mammal traditionally living on the land, not giving birth in the water, there was no such tradition and among the people since ancient times .
Most of all births in the water takes place in England. There is in many maternity hospitals have special pools for childbirth. But in recent years in a number of counties in the labor pool were banned after several infants died in the water.
Most often, a woman spends in the basin of the first stage of labor - during labor and disclosure of the birth canal. It is proved that in this period of stay in warm water reduces the pain of labor contractions. Once this period is over, and a period of exile, a woman gives birth in a conventional manner.
But part of the childbirth takes place completely in the water and in some cases it creates extreme situations, which are very difficult to fix, since birth can take place rapidly and predict all the possible complications is almost impossible.
What dangers lie in wait for the woman and child during childbirth water
Deliveries were always dangerous, last of them died, many women. In our time, the death of a woman during childbirth is extremely rare, as there are specially developed technique means of virtually everyone, even the most unusual situations. The problem is that aid (sometimes surgical) is needed immediately, and to do it in the water (especially if births are at home in the bathtub) sometimes impossible. In women during childbirth water may experience the following complications:
- bleeding: the blood vessels dilated by warm water, gaping after separation of the placenta, which increases the bleeding (the followers of the method argue that bleeding, on the contrary, from the warm water is reduced, but the scientific evidence of this fact is not); while a woman would get out of the bath it can lose a lot of blood;
- gaping blood vessels in the uterus can get water (tap water embolism) - is a very dangerous condition which can result in the death of a woman;
- through the open blood vessels in the blood of women can get infected - it happens much more often than with traditional labor; postpartum infection is difficult and its consequences are unpredictable.
A child is born in water, exposed to even greater risk:
- when you exit the birth canal tap water can get into the lungs the baby, and he will die; those who practice the method of water delivery, completely reject such an accident, however, the deaths of children from inhalation of tap water were;
- during the birth of the child lying in wait for a variety of hazards requiring immediate attention obstetrician-gynecologist, do it in the water impossible.
So is it possible to give birth in the water?
Births in water and non-physiological undesirable. However, there is a certain percentage of women who are willing to bear fanatic in this way. To help them, it is desirable to have at maternity pools, which would allow to control the process and the time to interrupt the testimony. Because a water birth at home in the bath - this procedure is beyond the understanding of the civilized man. In any case, to give birth in water can only be perfectly healthy woman who has normal size of the pelvis, there is no wrong position of the fetus, placenta previa or gestational toxicosis.
In order not to have such problems, it is necessary to improve the quality of care in hospitals and completely change the attitude of the medical personnel to women in labor. Then the bear will not be in the water, and as expected, in the nursing home.