Mifepristone: medical termination of pregnancy by the French pharmacists
December 21, 2008
- Mifepristone: medical termination of pregnancy by the French pharmacists
Mifepristone - a drug from the group antiprogestagenov. It blocks the progesterone receptors in the uterus, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the natural hormone progesterone
Progesterone - norm and pathology
Progesterone plays a major role in the maintenance of pregnancy - in particular, it provides a successful implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterine wall and prevent muscle contractions of the uterus during pregnancy. By blocking the progesterone receptors in the uterus, mifepristone significantly reduces the levels of progesterone and because of this can not continue pregnancy. Termination of pregnancy can only occur as a result of mifepristone, but sometimes to remove the fetus from the uterus require surgery.
Take mifepristone possible only under medical supervision.
Why use mifepristone?
- Termination of pregnancy in the first trimester (up to 63 days)
- Relaxation and expansion of the cervix before surgical termination of pregnancy
- Preparation of uterine prostaglandins for use when it is necessary to have an abortion in the period after three months of pregnancy
- Evoke childbirth, if the pregnancy is interrupted (fetal death occurred)
Mifepristone can be used only for the termination of pregnancy and only under the supervision of a qualified healthcare professional.
After 2-3 weeks after mifepristone the patient should undergo a thorough medical examination.
Mifepristone can not be taken if there is any doubt in the presence of pregnancy or her term. If for any reason mifepristone did not work, pregnancy is likely to continue to evolve. Since the effects of Mifepristone is associated with a high risk of serious birth defects in the fetus, pregnancy will need to interrupt some other way.
After one or two days after mifepristone begins vaginal bleeding, which may last up to 12 days. In the case of very abundant and / or abnormally prolonged bleeding should be as soon as possible to see a doctor.
The probability of becoming pregnant soon after the use of mifepristone is large enough. To avoid this, before the next menstrual period is necessary to use reliable methods of contraception, such as condoms.
Mifepristone should be used with extreme caution when:
- Risk factors for cardiovascular diseases such as high cholesterol and high blood pressure
- A variety of heart problems, such as infectious endocarditis or artificial heart valve
- Diseases of the blood, particularly in anemia
Mifepristone contraindications are:
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Severe uncontrolled asthma
- Porphyria (an inherited blood disease)
- Reduced kidney function
- Reduced liver function
Furthermore, this drug can not be used for allergy its ingredients. If signs of an allergic reaction after taking should seek immediate medical attention.
The most common side effects of mifepristone are strong vaginal bleeding, pain and cramping in the lower abdomen.
Less mifepristone is associated with genital infections (including pelvic infection), disorders of the intestines (and the appearance of symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea) and low blood pressure. Very rarely mifepristone causes side effects such as skin rash, headache, hot flashes, malaise and dizziness
Dizziness - if the ground is slipping from under his feet
Very rarely, in less than one patient out of ten thousand, developing potentially fatal toxic shock caused by microorganisms Clostridium sordellii.
The following medicines may slow the degradation of mifepristone in the body and enhance its action and / or increase the risk of side effects:
- Antibiotics such as erythromycin
Erythromycin - if you are allergic to penicillin
- Antifungal agents, e.g., ketoconazole and itraconazole
- Corticosteroids such as beclomethasone, prednisolone
Prednisolone - against inflammation, allergy and pain, but with complications
- Hypericum and various formulations prepared on the basis thereof
Marvelon - protects and treats
October 19, 2008
- Marvelon - protects and treats
- Hormonal contraceptives
Marvelon is a combined hormonal contraceptives. Its active ingredients include ethinyl estradiol and desogestrel, synthetic substitutes of female sex hormones, estrogen
Estrogen - the key to bone health
Progesterone - norm and pathology
. Ethinyl estradiol is an analog of estrogen and desogestrel - "third generation" synthetic forms of progesterone.
Marvelona principle of operation is to change the course of the menstrual cycle. During the normal menstrual cycle, the level of sex hormones is changed for each month. Hormones make the egg is released from the ovary and prepare the inner shell wall of the uterus for a possible pregnancy. If fertilization and pregnancy do not occur at the end of each cycle hormone level is reduced, causing the top layer of the uterus and unfertilized egg is derived from the uterus - this is the menstrual cycle.
When daily intake of hormonal contraceptives body "thinks" that ovulation
Ovulation - How to determine as accurately as possible?
It has already come. Thus, the egg is not mature and released from the ovary. In addition, these hormones also makes the cervical mucus, which is produced in the area of the cervix, denser, whereby it will be difficult to penetrate the sperm into the uterus. Hormones also alter the quality of the endometrium - the inner lining of the uterine wall. Thus, the woman receives a triple protection against pregnancy if the egg is still matures and enters the uterus, it is unlikely to get sperm. If it does happen, and the egg is fertilized, it will likely not be able to penetrate the wall of the uterus, which means that pregnancy does not occur.
Another effect is marvelona that menses in women taking it become abundant and less painful and more regular. So sometimes marvelon prescribed to women suffering from various disorders of the menstrual cycle.
How to take Marvelon?
Marvelon relates to monophasic contraceptive - i.e. in each tablet from those found in the package contains the same dosage of hormones. During the twenty-one days should be taken one tablet marvelona and then take a break for a period of 7 days. During these seven days of hormone level drops and starts bleeding - the same as a normal menstruation. Start taking pills from a new package is necessary regardless of whether the bleeding will stop in seven days or not. Correct pills provide reliable protection against pregnancy, including, and for seven days when you are not taking pills.
- Pregnancy or suspected pregnancy.
- Lactation (marvelon not be taken until the end of breastfeeding, or within six months after giving birth).
- I have a personal or family history of venous thromboembolism patients, such as deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism.
- Blood disorders which increase the risk of blood clots in the veins, eg antiphospholipid syndrome or factor V Leiden.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Excess urea in the blood, causing damage to the red blood cells (hemolytic uremic syndrome).
- A woman has two or more risk factors for blood clots in the veins, for example, obesity, varicose veins, prolonged immobilization.
- The formation of blood clots in the arteries of history, such as a stroke or mini-stroke caused by blood clots, or heart attack.
- A woman has two or more risk factors for blood clots in the arteries, such as heart attack or stroke in the family history, diabetes, high blood pressure, smoking, age over 35, obesity, migraine.
- The disease of the heart valves.
- Atrial fibrillation.
- Increased blood pressure from moderate to high (hypertension).
- Elevated cholesterol levels.
- Severe diabetes complications, such as affecting the eyes, kidneys and nerves.
- Women who smoked more than 40 cigarettes a day.
- Women older than 50 years.
- Migraine with aura, severe migraines, continuing for 72 hours or more, despite treatment, or migraine who were treated with derivatives of ergot alkaloids.
- Breast cancer history.
- Cancer that attacks the reproductive organs.
- Vaginal bleeding of unknown origin.
- Serious liver disease, such as cancer of the liver, hepatitis
Hepatitis - the scourge of our time