Many plants synthesize aromatic substances, which are often not only delicious smell, but also benefit the health of both people and animals. Much of this relates to the flavoring of secondary metabolites. Moreover, many of these substances (particularly alkaloids) protect plants from a variety of microorganisms, insects, as well as from herbivores.
Today, aromatic herbs, especially those that also have various medicinal properties, are increasingly in demand in both developed and developing countries. The reason for this is not only are fewer compared with many drugs, the cost, but also understanding that herb often cause minimal side effects and do not cause any, while delivering good curative effects for many diseases. Today, herbs are widely used in the pharmaceutical, cosmetics, food production and perfumes. One of today's popular areas of alternative medicine - aromatherapy - also based on the use of essential oils from various herbs.
Popularity herbs threatens some of their species annihilation. In Europe alone, in various industries is used, at least 2000 kinds of herbs, of which 1200-1300 species native to Europe. Approximately 90% of the species of these herbs are still harvested in their natural habitat. Experts say more insistent on the need to grow many herbs to protect them from destruction.
The properties of some herbs
- Angelica helps with nervous exhaustion and stress, improves the lymphatic system, increases perspiration, cleanses the body of toxins. It stimulates the bowels and helps with colic and indigestion, improves appetite. Helps with colds, bronchitis and pleurisy, is used to relieve the symptoms of asthma, as well as to restore the sense of smell. It is assumed that angelica improves estrogen production and thus helps with painful menstruation. It is also used for headaches, migraines, toothaches, and various inflammatory processes. It can be used to neutralize the poison after being bitten by snakes (although it is unlikely to replace a doctor's help).
- Basil relaxes the muscles (including smooth muscle, which can not be arbitrary control). It helps with mental fatigue; It sharpens the sense of smell.
- Bergamot. In the Middle East it teas and essential oils for the past hundred years are used for the treatment of skin diseases associated with excessive activity of the sebaceous glands, as well as to relieve itching after insect bites. Bergamot is useful for the nervous and digestive systems; it was he who gives Earl Grey tea its wonderful fragrance - a refreshing and at the same time uplifting.
- Pharmacy chamomile not only has a pleasant fragrance, but also healing properties. It helps with colds, inflammation, anxiety and nervous tension. In Europe, it is often used to treat certain skin diseases.
- Sage strengthens the cells of various tissues of the body. It contains phytoestrogens. Sweet, relaxing scent of sage
Sage - cvyaschennaya grass
tones and soothing. Sage has a particularly beneficial effect on women.
- Carnation. Clove essential oil is a powerful antiseptic. Eugenol, one of its main components, part of the funds that dentists use for local anesthesia. In addition, cloves contains powerful antioxidants that effectively strengthens the immune system.
- Fennel has antiseptic properties, and has a stimulating effect on the circulatory system.
- Lavender - perhaps the most versatile of aromatic herbs. Its use in the treatment of burns and skin irritations; lavender
The healing properties of lavender - not only pleasant aroma
It soothes and relaxes both physically and emotionally. It can be used in tension of the muscles and muscle pains. Lavender is widely used in the cosmetic and food industries.
- Melissa uplifting, relieves stress and helps with insomnia. It is also used to treat heartburn, flatulence, abdominal distension.
- Peppermint has a calming effect, relieves symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and menopause. The aroma of mint
Mint and its useful properties: aromatic freshness
It affects parts of the brain responsible for the feeling of satiety. Peppermint essential oil can be applied to the skin - it is very refreshing and cool; but avoid contact of the essential oil on the mucous membranes and sensitive skin.
Spices, spicy seasonings added to dishes a unique flavor, making them more delicious and unforgettable. But this culinary trick - adding spice to the usual dishes - can benefit health, because many of them have expressed useful qualities.
Add the chives into the mashed potatoes, which he is perfect, and other dishes. Finely chop it and sprinkle salads, soups, side dishes, he will give them a beautiful unforgettable taste and aroma. In culinary terms chives stands in the middle between the ordinary onion and garlic. It contains vitamin C, potassium, iron, folic acid. Chives is widely practiced in Chinese medicine to eliminate the common cold. In addition, it strengthens the back muscles to weaken and allows stomach pain
Abdominal pain: Types and Symptoms
This herb is often accompanies dishes of chicken, and it is also very well known in traditional Chinese medicine. Rosemary stimulates brain activity due to the large amount of volatile oils that it contains. Laboratory tests have shown that rosemary may substitute energy drinks, and an additional advantage it has a low number of calories as compared with any of them.
Marjoram is incredibly popular in Italian cuisine. But even if you're not going to cook dishes that belong to it, do not miss the opportunity to add to food marjoram. This herb is an excellent antiseptic, it frees the airways protects against influenza, cold, very well eliminate cold.
In coriander special taste, not unlike any other. It improves digestion and natural way to give your body energy. It is used in Indian herbal mixtures, for example, along with saffron.
Parsley in Chinese medicine is often used to eliminate the symptoms of conjunctivitis, it helps the liver, relieving the body of unwanted substances.
Do not forget about the healing power of herbs that are widely used in cooking - they can prevent disease and give the dish a unique flavor and taste. Another nice little thing - such treatment will cost quite inexpensive.