Oregano - a strong sedative
April 25th, 2010
Plants used a drug to the ancient Egyptians. They made various ointments, lotions and potions quite complex composition. In ancient Egypt, widely used scented oils, balms, resins. Already at that time were widely known healing properties of aloe
Aloe - its amazing healing properties
Psyllium - helps the kidneys and stomach
, Juniper, marjoram, and many other plants.
Oregano (forest mint) - a perennial herb of the family grubotsvetnyh height of 30-80 cm. Stems oregano straight, quadrangular, branched, covered with soft hairs. Leaves are oblong, pointed. The flowers are pinkish-purple, small, numerous, gathered in panicles. The fruit consists of four round-ovate nuts enclosed in a cup, spicy and bitter taste. Flowers in June-August, the fruits appear in September.
Oregano grows almost all over the country on dry ground, meadows, forest edges, among the bushes and along the slopes of the hills. Cultivated as melliferous, essential oil and medicinal plants. Oregano is widespread in most parts of our country.
As a medicinal raw material used the aerial part. The raw material is collected in the period of flowering, cut stems up to 20 cm. The collected materials are tied into bundles and hang to dry in the open air under a canopy. The dried raw material rubbed through a wire sieve to obtain a mixture of leaves, flowers and young twigs.
Oregano is used as a spice, it is added to vegetable, mushroom and meat dishes, salads, soups, sausages and home-made cakes. From oregano prepare tea is added to liqueurs, oregano gives them a special flavor and taste. The most widely used oregano found in the preparation of home-canned.
The chemical composition and medicinal properties
In the aerial part of the essential oil of oregano contains
Essential oils and conception: can help the roses?
Terpenes (hydrocarbons with strong conifer odor), alcohols geranilatsetat (ester geraniol - scented oil contained in geranium and acetic acid, a component of many essential oils has a fruity-floral odor with a note rose) and certain other volatiles and aromatics , ascorbic acid, tannins and pigments. The seeds contain about a third of the drying fatty oil.
Oregano has a strong sedative effect. It soothes and relieves stress
How to beat stress? Create an oasis
even its smell. In addition, it has a strong expectorant and diaphoretic properties, has choleretic, diuretic, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial action. Oregano also increases motor activity of the stomach and intestines, increases the secretion of gastric juice has a tonic effect on the smooth muscle of the uterus.
Indications and contraindications for use
Oregano is used:
- with nervousness and convulsive states as a sedative;
- in diseases of the upper respiratory tract, bronchitis and pneumonia as an expectorant;
- in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, accompanied by low secretory and motor activity (gastritis with low acidity, colitis, goiter, accompanied by constipation, poor appetite and bloating and so on);
- for liver and biliary tract - as cholagogue;
- edema of different origin - as a diuretic;
- at cold and high temperature as a diaphoretic;
- when pustular skin diseases, festering wounds and diathesis - externally as an antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory agent.
Oregano is contraindicated if you are hypersensitive and during pregnancy, as it causes increased activity of the muscles of the uterus.
How to prepare and take drugs of oregano
Herb oregano alone or in a mixture is prepared in the form of infusions and tinctures:
- infusion of oregano reception inside: two tablespoons dried minced raw material is placed in an enamel bowl, pour a glass of boiling water, heated in a water bath for 15 minutes, cooled for 45 minutes at room temperature, strain, squeeze, made up boiled water to the original volume and take tablespoon three times a day for half an hour before meals;
- Oregano tincture: tablespoon dried minced raw pour 150 ml of 70% ethyl alcohol and infused for 10 days in a dark place at room temperature, strain, wring out and take 30 drops three times a day.
The pharmacy oregano is sold in the form of briquettes from shredded and compressed grass. Tiled briquettes grooves are separated by 10 different slices. One slice of boiled water, insisting 15-20 minutes, strain and drink in the form of heat for half a cup three times a day.
Oregano - a herb that is used everywhere: in cooking and in perfumery and medicine.
Flaxseed: the scheme of use and contraindications
November 12, 2011
- Flaxseed: the scheme of use and contraindications
- Cautions and Warnings
- Interaction with Drug
Flax seed is obtained from flax (Latin name - Linum usitatissimum). Flaxseed and flaxseed oil
Linseed oil - the healing properties of a beautiful flower
widely used in industry for the production of linoleum and oil paints used in painting and in medicine, internal (its use reduces the risk of stroke by 37%) and in the form of ointments and rubbing.
Flaxseed is used to treat and prevent a variety of diseases, including:
- prevention and auxiliary treatment of cardiovascular disease (ischemic heart disease, atherosclerosis, hypertension, myocardial infarction);
- normalization of the intestine in gastrointestinal diseases (gastritis, ulcerative colitis, constipation, colon damage due to misuse of laxatives, diarrhea, inflammation of the lining of the large intestine (diverticulitis), irritable bowel syndrome (spastic colitis) and inflammation of the small intestine (enteritis);
- prevention and adjuvant treatment of cancer;
- pink and treatment of acne vulgaris (acne);
- adjuvant treatment of attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity;
- adjuvant treatment of renal failure in patients with systemic lupus;
- treating the symptoms of menopause, as well as pain in the chest;
- adjuvant treatment of diabetes;
- adjuvant treatment of obesity;
- adjuvant treatment of AIDS;
- the treatment of depression;
- adjuvant treatment of malaria and rheumatoid arthritis.
In addition, linseed:
- improves skin and hair;
- used as a source of essential fatty acids and polyunsaturated;
- It reduces the likelihood of blood clots, increases the elasticity of blood vessels;
- It is used to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels in blood;
- It is used for weight loss, improvement of lipid metabolism in the body
Flaxseed also is widely used in treatment and prevention of diseases of the lungs and bronchi, diseases of the nervous system, kidney and bladder, thyroid diseases, in the treatment of male sexual potency.
The effectiveness of flaxseed
Flaxseed can effectively:
- Lowering the level of hemoglobin A1c, measure the average level of blood sugar
Blood sugar - a very important indicator
in patients with type 2 diabetes (analyzes were conducted for three months). But studies show that flaxseed does not reduce blood sugar
Blood sugar - one of the main indicators of human health
fasting insulin levels and fat levels in the blood of patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Lowering high cholesterol. Various drugs and products flaxseed, including crushed flaxseed, part-skim flaxseed muffin with flaxseed significantly lower cholesterol in general and "bad" cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein), particularly in people with normal cholesterol levels and in men and women age predklimaktricheskogo with elevated cholesterol levels. However flaxseed not affect the "good" cholesterol (HDL). According to scientists, most drugs do not affect the flaxseed and triglyceride levels in the blood, but partially skimmed linseed (flaxseed with reduced alpha-linolenic acid) increases the level of triglycerides by about 10%.
- Improve kidney function in patients with systemic lupus.
- To reduce the symptoms of menopause. Oral administration of flaxseed reduces some of the symptoms and the symptoms of menopause in women. But in this case, is set dosage. Thus, the daily intake of 40 milligrams of flaxseed partially eliminates "hot flashes" and night sweats, but a lower dose, such as 25 milligrams, has no effect on the symptoms of menopause.
The effectiveness of flaxseed is not proven ...
- In the treatment of breast pain (mastalgia). According to one study, women on a daily basis for three months is eaten muffin with flaxseed significantly reduced pain in the chest
Chest pain is one symptom - a lot of diseases
before beginning of menstruation (premenstrual syndrome). Bun contained 25 grams of flaxseed.
- In the treatment of constipation. Flaxseed is rich in dietary fiber, and many consider it a good laxative. But to date there is no evidence to support or refute this assumption.
- In the treatment of prostate cancer. Studies have shown that consumption of flaxseed in conjunction with a diet low in fat may reduce prostate specific antigen, a marker of prostate cancer in men at increased risk of prostate cancer. But men have prostate cancer, flaxseed did not affect prostate specific antigen, however, lowers the level of testosterone and slows the spread of cancer cells.
- In the treatment of cardiovascular diseases.
- In the treatment of cancer of the rectum and colon.
- In the treatment of diverticulitis.
- In the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (spastic colitis).
- In the treatment of stomach disorders.
- In the treatment of inflammation of the bladder.
- In the treatment of lung cancer.
- In the treatment of breast cancer in women.
- In the treatment of attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity.
The secret to the effectiveness of flaxseed
Flaxseed is an excellent source of external essential fatty acids Omega-3 and Omega-6. Moreover, if the omega-6 is also present in soy, sunflower, mustard, canola and olive oil, the omega-3 found in sufficient amount only in flaxseed. Linseed content of omega-3 to 2 times higher than in the fish oil, and significantly higher than in other food products. Once in the body, omega-3 and omega-6 are introduced into the cell structure, and further a positive effect on cell activity, the rate of transmission of nerve impulses. It is due to the high content of Omega-3 and Omega-6 flax seeds help to normalize metabolic processes in the body.
In addition, flaxseed is rich in fiber, which the body forms a chemical bond with cholesterol and prevents its absorption in the gut. In general, due to the effect of flaxseed on cholesterol and blood clotting decreases the risk of atherosclerosis.
Flaxseed is considered effective in the treatment of cancer because it contains lignans, anticarcinogenic substances with antibacterial and antioxidant properties.
By its action lignans similar to the female hormone estrogen - are so similar that they can even replace the estrogen in some chemical reactions. As a consequence, the estrogen produced by the body loses its power. According to some researchers, lignans slow down the development of some forms of breast cancer and other types of cancer, which is required for proliferation of estrogen.
In systemic lupus, flaxseed improves kidney, diluting the blood and lowering the level of cholesterol in the blood.
Flaxseed is safe for adult consumption, provided for a short period. Admission flaxseed in high doses may cause more frequent stools and diarrhea. To avoid this side effect should take flaxseed with plenty of water. Also, the consumption of flaxseed not possible appearance of allergic reactions and side effects in the gastrointestinal tract, such as bloating, pain, stomach cramps, constipation, diarrhea, and nausea.
Doctors recommend pay attention to the foods that contain partially skimmed linseed, ie flaxseed with less alpha-linolenic acid.
Such products are particularly useful for men who are afraid of prostate cancer. Of great importance is the source of alpha-linolenic acid. Of great importance is the source of alpha-linolenic acid. Thus, alpha-linolenic acid derived from milk and meat products, a positive effect on prostate cancer. But alpha-linolenic acid, derived from vegetable sources, including flaxseed, does not affect the risk of prostate cancer.
Do not consume raw food or unripe flaxseed - linseed untreated toxic and causes poisoning.