Back pain: Do not start the process
December 26th, 2010
- Back pain: Do not start the process
Back pain - a very common phenomenon. Most people at least once in his life faced with this problem. Back pain - one of the most common reasons for seeking medical attention or work permit. However, in your power to prevent back pain, reduce its intensity or frequency of attacks. If prevention fails, home treatment, and a properly selected set of exercises to help get you back in shape in a few weeks. Surgery is rarely used to treat back pain.
Symptoms of back pain can be the following:
- muscle aches;
- sweep or stabbing pain;
- pain radiating to the leg;
- limited mobility, flexibility and range of motion back;
- inability to stand straight.
Back pain that lasts from a few days to a few weeks, is regarded as urgent. Pain that lasts for three months or more is regarded as chronic.
When you need to see a doctor
In most cases, back pain gradually extends in the treatment of house and appropriate care. Although the complete disappearance of pain often takes several weeks, some improvement markedly within the first 72 hours after onset of therapeutic actions. If no improvement, see your doctor.
In rare cases, back pain can signal serious disorders and diseases. Consult your doctor if back pain:
- It is constant or intense, aggravated at night or when you go to;
- radiating to one or both legs, especially if the pain extends below the knee;
- It causes weakness, numbness or tingling in one or both legs;
- accompanied by disturbances of the bowel and bladder;
- accompanied by pain or pulsation in the abdomen, or a rise in temperature;
- It occurs after a fall or blow to the back and other injuries;
- accompanied by unexplained weight loss.
In addition, you should consult your doctor if back pain occurs for the first time in over 50 years of age or with a history of cancer, osteoporosis
Osteoporosis - he threatens you?
As well as using steroids, drug or alcohol abuse.
The causes of back pain
Our back is a complex structure consisting of bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons and discs. Disks - a chondroid layer between the spinal segment operating amortization function. Back pain may be due to a problem with any of these components. In some people, back pain occurs without any specific cause (at least, it can not be set).
Sprain and strain
In most cases, back pain occur:
- Overvoltage muscles and ligaments;
- when lifting heavy objects;
- after a sudden awkward movement.
Sometimes back pain may be caused by muscle spasm.
In some cases, back pain may be caused by structural abnormalities, including:
- protrusion or intervertebral disc damage. Discs act as cushions between the vertebrae amortization spine. Sometimes the soft material inside the disc bulges or ruptures and presses on a nerve. But despite this, many people who have had a protrusion or herniated disc, do not feel pain in his back.
- sciatica. If the protrusion or herniated disk presses on the main nerve that runs through the leg, it can cause sciatica - sharp, shooting pain localized in the lower back, buttocks and gave to the hamstring.
- arthritis. The most common joints affected by osteoarthritis of the hip, wrist, knees and lower back. In some cases, arthritis
Arthritis - a variety of forms and complications
backbone can lead to a narrowing of the space around the spinal cord. This condition is known as spinal stenosis.
- skeletal abnormalities. Back pain can occur when abnormal curvature of the spine. If the natural curves of the spine broken, upper back may look abnormally rounded, and the lower part of the back - bent over. Scoliosis - a persistent lateral deviation of the spine from the normal rectified the situation - can also cause back pain.
- osteoporosis. If the bones become porous and brittle, possible vertebral compression fractures of the spine.
Rare but serious diseases, appealing back pain
In rare cases, back pain may be associated with the following diseases:
- cauda equina syndrome. This is a serious neurological disorder that occurs in the case of compression (compression of) the nerve roots. The syndrome can cause weakness in the legs, numbness in the pelvis or groin, as well as loss of control of bowel and bladder
Urinary bladder - structure and function
- cancer of the spine. The tumor of the spine can press on nerves, causing pain in his back.
- infection of the spine. If back pain is accompanied by fever, increased sensitivity at the location, it could be an infection.
Factors that increase the risk of back pain include:
- old age;
- being female;
- physically hard work;
- sedentary work;
- constant stress
How to beat stress? Create an oasis
Knee pain: it is necessary to restrict the movement
January 20, 2011
- Knee pain: it is necessary to restrict the movement
Pain in the knee - a common complaint, with which appeals to doctors, patients of all ages. It is often the result of injury, such as torn ligaments or cartilage damage. Some diseases - including arthritis, gout and various infections - can also cause pain in the knee. For minor pain in the knee well help home treatments. Sometimes required for the treatment of more serious measures until surgery.
Localization and knee pain intensity may vary depending on the cause of the problem. Signs and symptoms, sometimes accompanied by pain in the knee include:
- Swelling and the deterioration of the mobility of the knee joint
- Redness on the knee; unusually warm to the touch in this area
- Weakness or instability
- Unusual sounds, usually crunch in the knee flexion
- The inability to fully straighten the knee
When you need to see a doctor
Call your doctor if:
- You can not bear weight on the knee
- Do you have a swelling of the knee joint
- You can not fully bend and straighten the knee
- There is a noticeable deformation of foot or knee
- Skin redness, pain and swelling in the knee accompanied by fever
- You can not stand properly because your knees podgibayutsya
A knee injury can affect any of the ligament, tendon or synovial bags that are in the area of the knee, as well as bone, cartilage and ligaments which form the joint itself. Some of the most common knee injuries:
Rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament, one of four ligaments that connect the tibia and femur. This injury is particularly characteristic of people who are engaged in basketball and skiing because it is associated with sudden changes of direction.
Torn meniscus. The meniscus forms a tough elastic cartilage; it acts as a shock absorber between the tibia and femur. His damage may occur, for example, if you suddenly bends the knee while it carries a significant weight.
Bursitis of the knee joint. Some knee injuries cause inflammation of the synovial bags. This disorder is called bursitis
Bursitis - if you have trouble walking
The knee tendinitis. Tendonitis - is irritation and inflammation of one or more tendons - dense, fibrous structures adjacent to the muscles and bones. In runners, skiers and cyclists most often develops inflammation of the patellar tendon, which connects the quadriceps muscle to the femur.
Osteoarthritis, sometimes called degenerative arthritis, is the most common type of arthritis. It causes wear and tear of the cartilage in the knee, because of what may appear severe pain. This disorder is most characteristic of the elderly.
Arthritis - a variety of forms and complications
. The most severe form of arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis - when the sore joints
is an autoimmune disease that can affect almost any joint in the body, including the knees. Although rheumatoid arthritis - a chronic disease, its symptoms, the intensity of symptoms can vary greatly with time; sometimes they disappear altogether for a long time.
Gout. This type of arthritis occurs when joints are deposited uric acid crystals
Uric acid - a normal level?
Pseudogout is often mistaken for gout, but is caused by calcium pyrophosphate crystals that form in the synovial fluid. Pseudogout most commonly affects the knee joint.
Septic arthritis is associated with infection of the knee joint. Usually, the appearance of its symptoms is not preceded by any injury. Another symptom is arthritis, septic fever.