Low back pain: the spine signals
December 19, 2010
- Low back pain: the spine signals
- Diagnosis and treatment
According to statistics from back pain is facing more than 80% of the population, with 50% of pain occurs more than once, or has a chronic character. Back pain - is not a specific disease, but a symptom of a variety of different processes in the body. 85% of people complaining about back pain, can not determine the specific cause of the pain, despite a thorough medical examination.
Feeling the pain, do not self-medicate, and as soon as possible consult a doctor to diagnose the disease, she can be called and develop a treatment plan.
- Low back pain is second only to the common cold in the ranking of the most common causes of hospital.
- 90% of people, even in inflammation of the nerve roots, pain decreases within two months regardless of treatment used or not.
- Low back pain is considered acute if it remains less than a month, and chronic when it persists for a longer period of time.
Causes of back pain
Lower back pain - a symptom. The most common cause of back pain is a disease or muscle damage, bones and nerves of the spine. Pain caused by abnormalities of the abdomen, pelvis and chest, can also give back. This is called "referred pain." Many diseases and diseases of the abdominal organs, such as appendicitis, aneurysms, kidney disease, kidney infection, bladder infections, pelvic infection, ovarian, can cause back pain. Pregnancy, even under ideal flow can cause back pain and lower back sprain due to pelvic nerve stimulation, and stress the lower back.
Radicular syndrome - a painful condition resulting from the direct stimulation of the nerve roots, for example, pressure protrusion (a small protrusion of the disc) or disc herniation, osteophytes (bony growths), coarsening of the intervertebral ligaments or soft tissue scarring spinal disc space. By radicular syndrome include sciatica
Sciatica (sciatica) - is not a disease
. The pain of infringement of the nerve root, usually acute, specific, and causes numbness in the feet area, associated with nerve entrapment.
- Herniated disc occurs when the intervertebral discs are wiped and become thinner. The gelatinous central portion of the disc bulges out from the central cavity (protrusion) and presses on the nerve root. Degeneration of intervertebral discs starts after thirty years. Herniated disc diagnosed in one-third of the adult population over 20 years old. However, only 3% of them have symptoms of nerve root irritation.
- Spondylosis occurs when the intervertebral discs lose moisture with age and volume, which results in a reduction of their height. In such circumstances, even a minor injury can cause inflammation and irritation of the nerve roots.
- The degeneration of a spinal disc in conjunction with diseases of the lower back joint may lead to a narrowing of the spinal canal (spinal stenosis). These changes drive and joints and cause pain, they can be seen on x-ray. Patients with spinal canal stenosis may experience pain in both feet when standing for a long time or move on foot, even for short distances.
- Cauda equina syndrome - a condition of direct infringement of the spine, is a medical emergency. Vertebral disc substance penetrates into the spinal canal, thereby occurs pinched nerves. The person experiences a sharp pain, possible loss of sensation and bowel dysfunction or bladder
Urinary bladder - structure and function
(inability to control urination - incontinence, or the inability to start urination).
Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that cause pain - this myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.
- Myofascial pain is characterized by pain and sensitivity in specific areas (trigger points), the loss of mobility of the affected muscle groups and radiate pain, which is limited to the peripheral nerves. Pain relief often occurs when the muscles stretching the affected group.
- Fibromyalgia results in pain and hypersensitivity whole body, which are accompanied by fatigue and muscle pain.
Infections of the bones (osteomyelitis) of the spine - a rare but possible cause of back pain.
Non-infectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine, which is amplified in the morning. Ankylosing spondylitis usually begins in adolescence or early adulthood.
The cause of back pain can be a tumor, possibly malignant.
Inflammation of the nerves of the spine can occur as a result of infection with herpes zoster
Shingles and chickenpox - from the same pathogen
That causes shingles
Ringworm - not only infectious disease
. Although the virus affects the nerves in the thoracic spine, pain occurs in the upper back and lower back.
Baralgin - guide how pain medication?
September 16th, 2011
Baralgin - is a popular analgesic and antispasmodic (relieves spasms of smooth muscles of internal organs) drugs used it for pain of different origin: the head, toothache, pain in internal organs associated with spasm of the muscles.
The mechanism of action baralgina
Baralgin is a combined drug, which has analgesic, antispasmodic and somewhat antipyretic action. Main analgesic effect provides part of the baralgina Analgin (Metamizole).
Analgesic effect is enhanced by the two muscle relaxants (drugs, relieves spasms of smooth muscles of internal organs and blood vessels), which also reinforce each other antispasmodic action - pitofenone hydrochloride and fenpiveriniya bromide. All three drugs together have a pronounced analgesic effect, especially if the pain associated with muscle spasms of the gastrointestinal tract and urinary organs.
Baralgin manufactured by the pharmaceutical company Aventis Pharma (India) in tablets for oral administration in vials with a solution for intravenous and intramuscular administration. By briefly taking baralgin is fairly safe drug, it even allowed to take into the second trimester (12 - 24 weeks). However, this drug should not be taken for a long time, so it can greatly inhibit the formation of blood.
Indications and contraindications for the appointment baralgina
Baralgin most effective for pain caused by spasms of smooth muscles of the digestive system. These spasms can occur in the background of inflammation in the stomach, intestine, gall bladder, pancreas.
Will baralgin and renal colic, urinary tract when a spasm occurs due to the passage of them small stones and sand.
Severe pain during menstruation can also be removed using dipyrone - they are caused by spastic contractions of muscles of the uterus.
Several smaller effect baralgina pain in skeletal muscles and joints, however, these diseases and pain are reduced. When nerve entrapment (eg osteochondrosis) as the effect will not be too pronounced.
Apply baralgin and to reduce pain during various diagnostic tool researches and after surgery.
Contraindications for the purpose baralgina are severe liver disease, kidney and circulation organs in violation of their function, metabolic disorders (deficiency of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase), impairment of consciousness, increased intraocular pressure, enlargement of the prostate and urinary retention in the bladder, persistent contraction ( stenosis), gastrointestinal tract, certain birth defects of the intestine.
Do not use baralgin with strong abdominal pain of unknown origin, very low blood pressure in children can not be used in ampoules baralgin up to 3 months, a tablet - up to 5 years, with individual intolerance of components. Baralgin not indicated in the first and third trimesters of pregnancy, and in the second trimester it is prescribed only under strict indications. During breastfeeding
Breast-feeding: feed - and no nails!
baralgin contraindicated, since it is allocated to human milk.
Side effects that may occur during the treatment baralgin
Baralgin is quite dangerous side effects:
- severe allergic reactions - skin rash, angioedema, anaphylactic shock, bronchospasm;
- hematopoiesis by - reducing the number of leukocytes, including granular (granulocytes) which are responsible for immunity, platelets (they determine blood clotting, so there is a risk of bleeding);
- on the part of the urinary system - renal dysfunction, the appearance of protein in the urine
The protein in the urine - a sign of danger, which should not be underestimated
, Inflammation of non-bacterial origin in the kidneys (interstitial nephritis);
- the part of the circulatory system - heart rhythm disturbances, decrease in blood pressure;
- Other effects - dry skin and mucous membranes, blurred vision, tachycardia
Tachycardia - the body to the limit?
- local side effects - intramuscular injection solution baralgina often appears inflammation at the injection site.
Overdose baralgina - what to do?
Overdose baralgina accompanied by events such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain
Abdominal pain: Types and Symptoms
A sharp drop in blood pressure, weakness, loss of consciousness, seizures, impaired liver function and kidney function.
First aid in case of overdose of tablets baralgina - a gastric lavage (several times to clean water), and receive all the adsorbent (eg, activated charcoal). Then you need to call an ambulance.
Applying baralgin, you need to remember about its side effects.