Osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine - a rare, but serious diagnosis
January 1, 2014
- Osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine - a rare, but serious diagnosis
- What to do
Osteochondrosis - is the most common form of degenerative changes of the spine. The disease is loss of intervertebral disc with subsequent involvement in the pathological process of the vertebral bodies, the intervertebral joints and ligamentous apparatus. Osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine is not as common as other types of illness.
Why there is an osteochondrosis of the thoracic
Thoracic spine has anatomical features that explain the less frequent appearance of a degenerative disorders. Such properties are related to the fact that:
- This part of the vertebral column is represented by twelve vertebrae, and they are very strongly interconnected. The amplitude of motion in the joints between the vertebrae of the thoracic minimal;
- The ribs provide added rigidity of the spine.
Range of motion in the thoracic region is small, and it is not often subjected to excessive loads. Therefore, degenerative changes in it are less common.
There are risk factors that contribute to the defeat of the intervertebral discs. It:
- Genetic predisposition;
- Overweight and poor nutrition;
- A sedentary lifestyle and a long stay in one position, for example, work on the computer or behind the wheel;
- Excessive exercise;
- The work, which is associated with lifting heavy loads or frequent changes in the position of the body (flexion, extension, rotation);
- Metabolic disorders
Metabolism: The basis of life of all living things
in the body;
- Age-related changes;
- Spinal injuries (contusions and fractures);
- Overloading of the spine due to diseases of the feet, wearing uncomfortable shoes, or during pregnancy;
- Violation of posture, curvature of the spine and the instability of its segments;
- Nervous stress;
Against the background of predisposing factors disturbed nutrition of intervertebral discs. This leads to a deterioration in their metabolic processes, and dystrophic changes.
Stages of development of osteochondrosis
Intervertebral discs - anatomical education, which is located between two adjacent vertebrae. At its center is the nucleus pulposus, it is elastic and shock absorber of the vertical load. Around it is a multi-layer fibrous ring. Thanks to it is held in the center of the core, and the vertebrae are not moved laterally relative to each other. Annulus formed a very strong fiber, but in the development of osteoarthritis, they are replaced by scar tissue. This weakens the disc and can lead to fiber breakage.
There are four stages of the disease. Each of them is characterized by its own peculiarities.
- The first step in the nucleus pulposus and inner layers of the annulus fibrosus of the intervertebral disc cracks. The core penetrates them, and irritates nerve endings;
- The second stage - the further destruction of the fibrous ring and the lock is broken vertebrae together;
- The third stage - rupture of the fibrous ring, the nucleus pulposus goes beyond it, so formed a herniated disc. Last often squeezed into the spinal canal and compresses the nerve roots, the spinal cord and blood vessels. Develops spondylarthrosis - the defeat of the small joints between the vertebrae;
- The fourth stage - a destructive process extends to other entities of the spine. Continued flattening of the disc, it begins scarring. The intervertebral joints develops deforming arthrosis
Osteoarthritis - when the joint loses its function
Symptoms of degenerative disc disease of the thoracic spine
Pain - the most common symptoms of thoracic osteochondrosis
The symptoms of thoracic osteochondrosis
. They are located between the shoulder blades or spread along the spine in the thoracic region.
Pain in the thoracic osteochondrosis can be divided into the following types:
- Dorsago (pectoral cross) - an acute severe pain that arises suddenly in the affected spine. It usually appears in those who have to sit for a long time, leaning over the table, often while trying to get up after a long work in this position. Man gets hurt to breathe. The muscles at the same time greatly strained, and range of motion in the cervical-thoracic or lumbar-thoracic limited;
- Dorsalgia (back pain). This state is characterized by unexpressed pain in the thoracic spine and discomfort. Dorsalgia is worse when bending forward and to the sides and deep breathing. It is also determined by the tension of the muscles of the back and limitation of movement in the cervical, thoracic or lumbar-thoracic.
Osteochondrosis - learn how to properly distribute the weight
radicular pain can manifest itself in the intercostal spaces. This symptom is part of radicular syndrome which occurs due to compression of spinal nerves (roots) and is also accompanied by impaired sensation and movement.
If the thoracic spine is affected first, then pain and paraesthesia (sensory disturbances) extend from the upper thoracic vertebra of suprascapular zone in the armpit and reaches the elbow. When squeezed from the second to the sixth thoracic roots of pain coming from the spine and felt in interscapular and axillary areas and the relevant intercostal space.
Symptoms of the seventh and eighth roots are expressed in encircling pain rasprstranyayuscheysya from edge-vertebral joints, which are lower than the angles of the blades to the epigastric region. In this area you will notice muscle tension.
Radicular pain in the thoracic osteochondrosis at the ninth and tenth spinal nerves arise in the lower thoracic vertebrae and extend to the navel. This changes the tone of the muscles in the middle portion of the abdomen.
With the defeat of the eleventh and twelfth spinal roots pain followed by the lower thoracic vertebrae in the area below the navel. Also, there are changes muscle tone.
Sciatica treatment at home - different methods
May 12, 2014
- Sciatica treatment at home - different methods
- Bath, plaster, sealing
Sciatica - a problem faced by large numbers of people. Fortunately, in many cases it is possible to cope on their own. How to treat sciatica
Treatment for sciatica - medical approach
at home, so as not to cause harm, and when you need to see a doctor?
How to remove the pain of sciatica
- Fish oil is useful in many diseases, from asthma to depression and heart disease. Among other things, it makes it easier to effectively relieves pain and inflammation caused by chronic diseases such as sciatica. As a rule, experts recommend daily use of 2 to 4 grams of fish oil; alleviating the symptoms of sciatica
Symptoms of sciatica - what could be the manifestation
It is already noticeable in a couple of weeks. However, do not expect miracles - itself fish oil
Fish oil - so whether it is useful to think?
can facilitate only mild to moderate pain. For ease severe pain is recommended to use supplements with fish oil in combination with painkillers, which we discuss below.
- Vitamin D. Results of several studies indicate that a lack of vitamin D may exacerbate the pain of various chronic diseases. For example, in one study, researchers examined vitamin D levels in patients suffering from chronic pain caused by sciatica and other violations, and took opioid analgesics. It was found that patients who have been revealed lack of this vitamin, required for the relief of pain almost twice analgesics than other patients. Experts advise all people who have vitamin D levels below 50-70 ng / ml (nanograms per milliliter) to take supplements containing the vitamin and / or try to spend more time outdoors in the daytime.
- Capsaicin - a substance extracted from some species of pepper, which is part of ointments from sciatica and other violations. When capsaicin is applied to the skin improves blood circulation, stimulates the nerve endings and relieve pain - usually the result becomes visible after a few days of using the ointment. On the other hand, it can irritate the skin and mucous membranes, so it should be used with caution. After applying the ointment should be sure to wash your hands. In no case do not touch your eyes or damaged skin on your hands traces kapsaitsinovoy ointment.
Paracetamol in most cases, effectively relieves the symptoms of sciatica. It can be taken without a doctor's prescription, but pregnant women and people with chronic illnesses should consult beforehand with the doctor. It is also possible to take NSAIDs - they not only decrease pain, but also reduce inflammation. However, long-term use may cause some side effects, including - nausea, diarrhea, gastric ulcer, dizziness, headaches, renal failure.
We must remember that acetaminophen and other analgesics provide only a short-term anesthetic with radiculitis and do not treat the disease itself. If you are for a few weeks can not do without pain medication, be sure to consult a doctor.
Creams and gels
Viprosal - warming cream from sciatica, which are the active components of snake venom, fir oil, salicylic acid and camphor. It stimulates blood circulation, and has analgesic effect. Similar properties have different ointments and creams on the basis of bee venom; usually in their composition also comprises camphor, mustard oil, and a number of other ingredients. Such funds are sold without a prescription, and rarely cause side effects, but people who have any skin disease, before using them should consult with vraochm.
For anesthesia can also use the gel from sciatica, which is composed of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as Voltaren
Voltaren - relieve inflammation and pain
, Ibuprofen or diclofenac. One of the most popular drugs of this type - Fastum gel, whose active substance is ketoprofen. Some gels addition NSAIDs contain additional components, which also help relieve the symptoms of sciatica, for example, capsaicin, menthol, camphor and others.
Familiar to almost everyone balm "Gold Star" can also be used to relieve the symptoms of sciatica
. It should be applied to the back in that part of the spine, where the inflamed spinal nerve roots
. This is best done after a hot bath or shower, when the pores are opened, and the active ingredients are absorbed particularly well
. Then back you can wrap a woolen scarf or a scarf, or use a special belt for the back with radiculitis
. These belts can be worn without using any ointments or balms - they themselves can significantly improve the condition of the patient radiculitis
. Belts fix the spine, as well as stimulate the flow of blood to the site of inflammation, accelerate metabolism and warm the back
. Special times are from sciatica usually made of wool fabric, which are sewn plates of metal or plastic, which stabilize the spine
. When selecting belt is strongly recommended to consult with your doctor - he will not only help to pick up times are optimally suitable in a particular variety of sciatica, but also tell you how long it should be worn, and can advise additional treatments
. By the way, in these zones, there are additional benefits - in addition to alleviating the symptoms of sciatica they improve your posture and help strengthen back muscles