- Medical abortion - be wary of the ordinary
- Vacuum or mini-abortion
Medical abortion - is abortion, which is carried out by means of special medical equipment. He may be assigned when the pregnancy or labor are dangerous to the mother's life or if a child has anomalies associated with major organ systems, which is why the chances of its survival and healthy development of low birth. However, in most cases, abortion is the own choice of the pregnant woman.
When choosing a method of medical abortion accounted for factors such as gestational age, overall health of the patient and her personal preferences.
Types of abortion
All types of medical abortion can be divided into two groups: chemical and surgical.
Chemical abortions, also known as medical abortion is a popular means of abortion in the early stages; in North America and in Europe 10% of all abortions - chemical. We have such a method of abortion is received less common. Chemical abortions performed in the first trimester of pregnancy. There are different ways of carrying out a chemical abortion. In the most common version of the patient give misoprostol, and after a while she takes methotrexate. Misoprostol causes the detachment of the endometrium from the uterine wall and the death of the embryo; after methotrexate contractions start, resulting in the expulsion of an embryo.
The chemical abortion can be carried out only with the use of misoprostol
Misoprostol - indications for abortion
. Sometimes abortion patient give misoprostol, methotrexate, and a third drug - mifepristone.
Bleeding lasts from a few days to a few weeks after the start of chemical abortion. Sometimes medical abortion goes badly, and the final abortion surgical abortion is required.
There are several types of surgical abortion, which are used depending on the duration of pregnancy.
Vacuum aspiration or vacuum abortion - the most common method of abortion up to 15 weeks. This method includes manual vacuum aspiration
Vacuum aspiration - widely used method
and electric vacuum aspiration - the fruit is removed from the uterus using manual and electric pump, respectively.
Expansion and extraction can be used with 15 to 18 weeks; This procedure involves dilatation of the cervix and extract its contents by surgical instruments, including the vacuum pump.
Dilatation and curettage
Scraping - heavy and unsafe procedure
- A medical abortion, in which the emptying of the uterus is carried out using a curette.
In the later stages of pregnancy medical abortion is carried out using other methods - much more dangerous to the health of the patient.
Surgical abortion is performed under local or general anesthesia. After an abortion, a woman usually experiences contractions, similar to cramping during menstruation. Bleeding usually lasts no longer than two weeks after the abortion. The menstrual cycle is usually renewed after four weeks.
Risks associated with medical abortion
Making a decision about abortion, it is important to take into account all the risks associated with it. Abortion - this event, emotional and physical consequences of which could without exaggeration change a woman's life.
The most common complications of medical abortion:
- Heavy bleeding moderately intense bleeding for a while is normal; however, in some cases, especially if during an abortion has been damaged in one of the uterine arteries can be very severe bleeding. Severe cases may require a blood transfusion.
- Infections sometimes during abortion contents of the uterus is not removed completely, and part of the tissue remains inside. In this case, it increases the risk of penetration into the uterus of bacteria that can cause infection. The most common symptom onset of infection is the dramatic rise in body temperature.
- An allergic reaction to medication: some women have an allergic reaction to misoprostol, methotrexate and / or mifepristone, as well as drugs used for anesthesia during surgical abortion.
- Other problems: There is a slight risk of rupture of the cervix and uterine scarring. When abortion late in pregnancy increases the risk of perforation of the uterus; in some cases this may result in the need for a hysterectomy - removal of the uterus
Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) - a terrible need
Medical abortion is also associated with an increased risk of complications such as placenta previa, in subsequent pregnancies.