Seborrhea - a violation of the sebaceous glands
November 23, 2008
- Seborrhea - a violation of the sebaceous glands
- What is seborrhea and why it occurs
Seborrhea - a common skin disorder characterized by dysfunction of the sebaceous glands. Seborrhea appears a thickening of the horny layer, a red itchy rash, bold brilliance and peeling of the skin. Most prone oily skin of the head and torso, which is most developed sebaceous gland, the scalp (in this case it is about dandruff), forehead, nasolabial triangle, the area of the ears, the front chest area, armpits, grooving folds and interscapular region. If it affects the scalp is also observed thinning and hair loss.
There are dry, oily and combination seborrhea. The dry form of seborrhea occurs on the scalp, on areas of beard, mustache, eyebrows, eyelashes. When dry seborrhea patient forms dandruff
Dandruff: where it comes from, and what to do
, Resulting in the skin becomes dry and starts to peel off. Obstruction of the sebaceous glands resulting in acne. For oily seborrhea is characterized by the spread in the forehead, chin, nose wings, scalp. This form of the disease is easy to diagnose: due to heavy sebum hair get oily appearance, regardless of the frequency of washing.
Additional symptoms include a continuous itching and hair loss. For Mixed seborrhea is characterized by a combination of oily and dry forms. In some cases, the mixed oily observed various complications, most commonly caused by a violation of the gastrointestinal tract, hormonal disruptions, impaired thyroid function, some chronic infectious diseases, stress
How to beat stress? Create an oasis
and personal hygiene.
Who is affected shedding?
Seborrhea can occur even in the newborn on the scalp. This form of seborrhea is known as seborrheic dermatitis of the newborn (or cradle cap). Cradle cap takes about 6 months after birth. It may also occur in the crotch area and resembles a diaper rash.
Seborrhea also occurs in adults and older people, and in men more often than women. Seborrhea often occurs in people with oily skin. Furthermore, seborrhea common in patients with Parkinson's disease or AIDS.
Is there a cure seborrhea?
If the seborrhea caused any disease to cure it is necessary to cure this disease. However, in most cases, seborrhea no cure, but it can be controlled by respecting the rules of hygiene and using appropriate medications and cosmetics.
Since doctors do not know what causes seborrhea, prevention, or drug exists. Seborrhea often and runs without any treatment, but after a while there is a relapse. Frequent washing of the hair with anti-seborrhoeic shampoo helps prevent relapse. The shampoo should be applied at least twice a week to eliminate manifestations of seborrhea, but not less than one month. In the future, the shampoo should be used for the prevention of at least 1 time in 2 weeks. General treatment aimed at reducing inflammation, and fungal entities on the skin, reducing itching and preventing infection. In severe disease, characterized by the presence of foci with marked inflammation and stratification scales in combination with antifungal drugs used peeling agents (salicylic acid, tar products) or soften the scales using oils.
Treatment of seborrhea
The treatment of seborrheic dermatitis of newborns:
- Apply oil to baby's skin on the affected areas of seborrhea, to soften them;
- Wash your baby's hair soft, non-medicated baby shampoo;
- Clean the scalp of the baby with a soft bristle brush (like a toothbrush) to remove dandruff flakes or (be careful when cleaning the skin or massage
Cleaning the skin - what tools should I use?
head, any wound can lead to ingress of infection);
- If this does not help, your doctor will propose to use the OTC shampoo that contains tar. In more severe cases designate products containing 2% ketoconazole, such as Nizoral. They should be used only under medical supervision, as strong drugs are too frequent or incorrect use can have side effects.
Treatment of seborrhea of the scalp in adults:
- use nonprescription pharmaceutical shampoo containing tar, zinc, selenium, sulfur, and / or salicylic acid, to control symptoms. Apply shampoo in strict accordance with the directions on the package, as strong drugs are too frequent or incorrect use can have side effects.
- continue to use shampoo to reduce or eliminate symptoms of seborrhea.
Treatment of seborrhea on other areas of the body:
- moisturize skin lotions and use antiperspirants to reduce flaking and itching (although these funds may aggravate seborrhea, causing the affected areas turn red).
- shave the area around beard or mustache (it helps to get rid of the rash).
- your doctor may prescribe hydrocortisone or antifungal cream for topical application.
Treatment of seborrhea on the eyelashes:
- try to brush the eyelashes baby shampoo (shampoo soak a cotton swab
How to use sanitary pad - basic precautions
and wipe the eyelashes).
- Do not apply lotions or creams on the basis of cortisone on the skin around the eye, without the express instructions of the doctor. Contact cortisone into the eyes can lead to serious complications.
Consult your doctor if you can not control seborrheic dermatitis alone or fear of infection of the affected area.
The rash on the body: the conclusions only after consultation with a doctor
January 23, 2011
- The rash on the body: the conclusions only after consultation with a doctor
The rash on the body is not always a separate disease, but a symptom; it can have many causes. Usually, it is caused by various disorders. What could they be?
- Seborrheic dermatitis - this is one of the most common causes of a rash on the body in adults. This violation of the rash often appears on the face and head, but can also occur in other parts of the body.
- Atopic dermatitis, often called eczema, is a common disorder among children whose symptoms include a rash on the neck, wrists and ankles. It often occurs in people who are also suffering from asthma and hay fever.
- Contact dermatitis - a disorder characterized by a rash that appears on the body as a result of contact with certain stimuli. For example, such a reaction may occur when wearing jewelry containing nickel.
- Diaper dermatitis - a common type of contact dermatitis, characterized by the appearance of a rash on the body of the newborn due to too long skin contact with the feces or urine.
- Stasis dermatitis - a disorder in which the body fluid-filled blisters appear; The disease is most common for people suffering from disorders of blood circulation.
- Viral rashes. The rash on the body can be caused by viral infections, such as chickenpox
Chickenpox: painful, but not dangerous
. It is a contagious disease that is often accompanied by fever, vomiting, headaches and joint pain
Joint pain - how to understand what is going on?
. In most cases, viral rash lasts from a few days to a week, and then goes away by itself. Treatment, if required, are usually focused on relieving pruritus.
- Other rashes. The rash on the body can also be caused by an allergic reaction (eg, urticaria characterized by extensive rash), or sweating. If a person sweats heavily and thus sweat can not evaporate from the surface of normal skin, heat rash develops - in the body, most often in the folds of skin appears, which, however, quickly passed even without treatment.
- The rash is caused by a fungal infection. Fungal infections are common, but they rarely cause a rash on the body. The layman might think that the rash is accompanied by severe peeling of the skin, caused by a fungus. In fact, in most cases it is a form of eczema or dermatitis. However, the fungus can cause a rash on the body, and it is not related to hygiene. To catch a fungal infection can be in the gym, locker room, shared shower room - where the warm and humid. Very often the fungus affects the feet and toes, but it can cause a rash on large areas of skin. There are many effective OTC from fungal infections
Fungal infection: to prevent and defeat
. If they do not help for a long time it may have been misdiagnosed, and rashes on the body still called eczema or dermatitis and not a fungus.
- The rash is caused by bacterial infection. The most common bacterial infection of the skin is impetigo
Impetigo - the scourge of kindergartens
; its cause staphylococci or streptococci. Impetigo is more common in children than in adults. The main symptom is a vast body rash. For the treatment of commonly used prescription antibiotic for external use.
Choice of treatment at a rash on the body depends on the cause of its occurrence.
To relieve the symptoms, you can use the following drugs:
- Medications to eliminate itching containing camphor, menthol, pramoxine;
- Antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine, chlorpheniramine, loratadine or cetirizine.
It is also important to regularly use moisturizing lotions as good moisture promotes more rapid treatment of the rash.