Prozac - the one on which sits the whole of America
October 4, 2009
Oriental medicine believes that all illnesses originate in the depths of the mind, and then sold on the material level. Recently, the official medicine is more inclined to understand the nature of this disease. And so, with increasing mental stress on a person increases and the role of drugs that can relieve nervous tension.
Depression and Antidepressants
Depression - a depressed mental state, mental depression, in which everything around seems a patient in a gloomy light, he was haunted by obsessive thoughts of unpleasant content, lost interest in life (which can cause suicide), disturbed sleep.
The cause of depression can be a variety of factors (constant stress, load information, grief, etc.) on the material level of depression found a lack of serotonin - a substance that can cause the transmission of electrical impulses in nerve cells. The discovery of the causes of depression helped develop a number of drugs to treat it, which were called antidepressants.
What is Prozac
Prozac (international non-proprietary name - fluoxetine) - antidepressant, which increases the amount of serotonin, thereby increasing the number of its location in nerve impulse transmission from one nerve cell to another. This creates a mild stimulating effect, improving mood, reducing stress and fear, as well as a decrease in appetite (decreased body weight). This drug is used to treat depression
Treatment of depression - pills needed
There is even a movie "Prozac Nation," where it is Prozac rescues a young girl from depression.
Indications for admission
Prozac should not be used on their own, it may appoint a doctor in the following cases:
- depression (after ascertaining its causes);
- when an alarm condition (as it turns out the cause first, and then is assigned to the drug);
- in nervous overeating when stress "seized" a large amount of food;
- the treatment of chemical dependency, in which the absence of alcohol or drugs causes severe depression.
Prozac - active drug, so it has a lot of contraindications, it should not be taken:
- hypersensitivity (allergy) to the drug;
- If the patient has not reached the age of 18 years;
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding;
- epilepsy (improving the transmission of nerve excitation, and thus can worsen seizures);
- the propensity to suicide (increased activity may encourage the patient to action - suicide);
- diabetes, disorders of the liver and kidneys;
- the relaxation of the muscles of the bladder (the drug may exacerbate these effects);
- while increasing (including adenoma), prostate cancer;
- glaucoma (increased intraocular pressure).
Could come overdose of Prozac?
Yes maybe. Overdose of the drug or treatment with other drugs that have a similar effect, can cause symptoms of serotonergic syndrome: there is a fever, tremors throughout the body, confusion, motor agitation, irritability, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, irregular heart rhythm, heart palpitations.
Side effects when taking Prozac
Prozac occasionally causes side effects, the appearance of which the doctor must notify the patient in advance.
- From the nervous system - it increased irritability
Irritability - you try to control my temper
, Fatigue, anxiety, headache, sleep disturbance (or, on the contrary, drowsiness), dream
Dreams: how to understand our dreams
Which often have the character of nightmares, the violation of visual acuity, taste, dilated pupils, thought disorder, tremors throughout the body, movement disorders, sometimes - seizures.
- From the digestive system may appear dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (or constipation), poor appetite.
- With the genitourinary system - disorders of urination, menstruation, impotence
Impotence - a female perspective on the problem
- Since the cardiovascular system: palpitation, orthostatic effects (pressure drop when changing body position).
- Endocrine system may be a reduction in blood glucose.
Possible allergic reactions such as skin rash, itching, hives, angioedema in passing.
We must remember that the treatment Prozac should not take alcohol - it can cause symptoms of overdose. Prozac should not be taken before you get behind the wheel of a vehicle - motor coordination and attention after his admission may be somewhat compromised.
Prozac - antidepressant, time-tested, in spite of a sufficient number of side effects, it can bring significant relief to the patient, but only under medical supervision.
Psychohygiene - without mental overload
December 27, 2013
Psychohygiene - the science of how to achieve mental health, and save it. Mental health - is a general term used to describe the psychological state as a whole. This concept includes the way a person refers to himself as he is able to establish and develop relationships with other people, how he copes with difficulties.
Good mental health - is not merely the absence of mental disorders. Mentally healthy person is able to control their emotions and behavior, cope with problems, to create and maintain full relations, and effectively recover from stressful experiences. Other signs of good mental health:
- The general sense of satisfaction with life;
- Ability and willingness to have fun;
- The presence of significant and favorite things in life;
- The flexibility of the mind that allows a person easy to learn and adapt to change;
- The ability to maintain a balance between work and leisure;
- Self-confidence and self-esteem.
These qualities allow the person to lead a full, productive life, to feel happy.
The flexibility of mind in Mental Health
The fact that a person is mentally healthy and adheres to the rules of mental health does not mean that he has no problems, and it is always in a good mood. Everyone in his life time and again faced with disappointments, losses, changes, and normal reactions to it are sadness, anxiety and stress.
The difference between people with good mental health and all the rest is how they respond to stressful situations. Healthy people have a flexible mentality that allows them not to give up, to look for ways out of difficult situations, to concentrate on finding solutions, not fear and self-pity. The flexibility of the mind also means that the person is able to control himself in almost any circumstances. This does not mean that it does not give vent to his emotions
Emotions and culture: how to decipher the emotional code
; on the contrary, it is properly recognize and express their emotions when they appear, but not when it becomes impossible to hold them back. Thus, a person does not accumulate psychological problems that, superimposed on one another, can lead to serious violations and give yourself the opportunity to be discharged, where appropriate, and thus does not lose emotional balance.
Physical Health and Mental Hygiene
Physical health to mental hygiene is given great attention. "In a healthy body healthy mind" - this proverb received numerous scientific evidence, but without special studies each person knows how difficult it is to maintain a good mood, if the body does not feel the best way. The following guidelines are intended for those who want to improve their physical health:
- Get a full vacation. Maintain good mental health is impossible if you work hard and do not give yourself the opportunity to recuperate. Under the rules of mental health person needs each day to find the time to communicate with your loved ones for their own interests, but also to sleep.
- Exercise. Physical activity is a strong medicine against stress
How to beat stress? Create an oasis
Anxiety - how to distinguish normal from disease?
Depression - a little more than a bad mood
. It is best to deal with the kind of sport that brings you the maximum pleasure - then you will have the motivation to go to training, even when you are tired and you just do not really want to get out of a warm, cozy home. Increase the load not only by sports climbing stairs instead of the elevator, you walk into the store, ride a bike to work, and so on.
- Every night there in the sun for at least 10-15 minutes. The sun shines on us, not only in the literal sense: its light and lifts the mood and improves the general condition of the human psyche.
- Less smoke and drink alcohol. These stimulants may temporarily lighten the mood, but in the long run they do not affect the emotional state.
How to improve mental health
Following recommendations made by the Mental Health to help improve and maintain mental health:
- Do something useful for others. Working in voluntary organizations, charities, and a help to parents and neighbors helps to make life more meaningful, to distract from their own problems, and improve self-esteem.
- Learn self-discipline. If you are constantly giving yourself a promise and not do them, it can lead to depression, feelings of helplessness, low self-esteem and other psychological problems. To begin to place a small and simple tasks and achieve that you do them religiously. Then move on to more complex tasks - in time you will find that the failure to comply with their own plans for you - an exceptional phenomenon, and feeling guilty about it was a rare visitor.
- Constantly learning. Books, online courses and ordinary courses, training programs - the services of a modern man are many resources that can help you learn almost anything. Learn something new, you become a more interesting person to themselves and others, to improve relations to themselves, to discover all the new features - all this is essential for a full and happy life.
- Enjoy the beauty. Contact with nature and art, to regularly remind yourself how beautiful life is. Walking through the garden, hiking in the beautiful countryside, visiting the exhibition, walk through the city with beautiful architecture - all this helps to relieve stress and bring thoughts in order.
- Take a job that you like. My favorite work - one of the most important conditions for a happy life. If while you can not make you love to life, try at least to give him enough time outside the main work.
- Thank heartily - parents, colleagues, head of the wise, understanding friend, a loving husband, children, pets (do not think that they do not understand) - for all the good that they give you. Thank peace in a beautiful sunset, moonlight, for every day of your life just because the world is beautiful. Thank yourself for what you are unique, for, as you have already experienced, and how much you still have to. Sincere thanks not only warms the heart of those who are grateful, but also the one who thanks; it helps to appreciate life and not to be discouraged because of the little things.
- Make a circle of friends. Maintain relationships with old friends and make new friends with people who share your interests. Do not be afraid to terminate the relationship with those who become uninteresting to you, with whom you just uncomfortable, but cherish the people you really close.
- Avoid monotony. A person needs new experiences, to feel happy. Regularly try something new (a parachute jump or even jog on an unusual route), travel, and even radically change your life - if you feel that it was really necessary.