- Psychiatric emergency - when it is really necessary?
- Disorders of consciousness
What mental condition requires emergency
In urgent need of mental health care:
- patients with depression (depressed mood dramatically) with a tendency to suicide;
- patients in the manic state - with psychomotor (motor and mental) agitation and aggressive tendencies;
- patients with impaired consciousness, combined with abnormal behavior is a source of danger to others; including disorders of perception (hallucinations);
- Patients with seizures (epilepsy).
Depression and first aid for them
In this case, the danger threatening to the patient, since it is constantly preoccupied with the idea of his sinfulness and worthlessness, which can lead to suicide attempts (suicide). Depression is often accompanied by a variety of diseases. The most typical depressive states:
- involutional (compared to menopause) depression that is anxious and dreary character is accompanied by delusions of self-incrimination, the sinfulness of the phenomena of concern expressed by the motor; characterized by a long but relatively favorable course;
- psychogenic depression occurs against a background of trauma - is characterized by a sense of hopeless longing, the prosecution of all sins of others; the prognosis is usually favorable;
- circular depression is a phase of manic-depressive (circular) psychosis - can occur very hard with repeated suicide attempts; such patients often require admission to hospital.
In severe depression
Depression - a little more than a bad mood
the patient requires immediate hospitalization, therefore an urgent need to call an ambulance, but before her arrival did not leave a patient or (if possible) to tie it. This is necessary to check the patient's clothes, and take away all of the items that can be used to commit suicide.
Emergency doctor in the state expressed excitement with suicide attempts introduce drugs that reduce motor and mental activity (neuroleptics, eg, chlorpromazine), after which the patient is transported to the hospital.
Mania and first aid
A patient in a manic state can be dangerous, both for themselves and for others. This state is characterized by elevated mood, motor and verbal stimulation, the accelerated pace of thought. Characteristic features of its reassessment of the patient, which can be dangerous to themselves and to others. Mania appear to be at a manic-depressive psychosis
Manic-depressive illness - which phases are the most dangerous?
, Schizophrenia, various poisoning, diseases of the nervous system and internal organs.
When expressed manic states need to isolate the patient, to try to persuade the calm and call an ambulance. If you can not be persuaded to settle down, the patient should be fixed (tie). Emergency doctor introduces these patients drugs that reduce motor and mental activity (neuroleptics, eg, chlorpromazine), after which the patient is transported to the hospital.
Patients with disorders of consciousness
Disturbances of consciousness - a condition characterized by a distorted reflection of reality, disorder of orientation in the world and the self. Disorders of consciousness may be caused by the life of severe infections, poisonings, injuries and brain tumors. The most characteristic disturbance of consciousness with hallucinations and delusions
Brad - not only crazy
a delirium tremens (delirium tremens).
It starts delirium tremens after a long drinking for 2-3 hours on the job alcohol (delirium tremens have drunk people do not exist!). It appears gradual disorientation of time and place while maintaining the orientation in the self (the patient is required to say his name). Then join hallucinations (the patient sees what is actually there) is often threatening and delusions (typically persecution). By joining all kinds of violations of the work of internal organs.
Patients in this condition can be very dangerous, so they need urgent help. The patient should be recorded and if his condition is very serious, until arrival of an ambulance to drink 50 ml of vodka - it is time to prevent the development of delirium. But such a patient requires hospitalization and long-term treatment with the aim of removing the decay products of metabolism
Metabolism: The basis of life of all living things
and his full recovery.
Epilepsy and first aid for her
Epilepsy - a long flowing disease with sudden attacks of cramps. Epilepsy can be an independent disease, or develop on the background of diseases, injuries and brain tumors.
When an epileptic fit the patient needed urgent help: hold your head, protecting it from shock; not to fuse language and the patient is not biting it, you have to turn your head to one side, and between the teeth to insert a spoon or stick.
Individual attacks do not require medical treatment, but if the attacks continue, one after another (status epilepticus), then you should immediately call an ambulance and send the patient to the hospital.
Do not be afraid of the mentally ill, you just need to know what is happening and how they can help.