How to be happy: the path to harmony
February 24, 2011
Some people believe that happiness is unattainable that regularly arise circumstances that prevent a person feel happy. American director Woody Allen, for example, argues that life is of two kinds - just an unfortunate and terrible. Is it so? Happiness - the category of absolute or relative? And finally, the main question - how to be happy?
What is happiness?
According to opinion polls, half of the residents of Russia for happiness is not enough money, twelve percent of the necessary good job, eleven percent are in need of love, six - in the free time, and two - in entertainment. And only three percent consider themselves happy.
This statistic reflects the perception of happiness of most people - as a combination of some external circumstances, the presence or absence of which is dependent on the satisfaction, life and the world around them. Indeed, sometimes it seems that it is necessary only to achieve a specific goal (to make money, buy a house, get married, and so on), as the happiness will come by itself.
In connection with this interesting survey of representatives of the rating of the richest people (Forbes). Most oddly, did not consider themselves happier than usual inhabitants of the planet. As one of the billionaires - when sinking "Titanic", there is no difference - to escape from the hold of the cabin or first class.
So what is happiness? Psychologists who study this phenomenon agree that happiness - is the inner state that can be achieved regardless of external events. Happiness is:
- positive outlook on life, the anticipation of good. English psychologist Richard Uaysmen conducted an interesting study - talking with both those who consider themselves lucky and those who are confident in their own chronic bad luck. The conclusion is - the decisive factor is the general mood, ability to see the positive things in any situation - and to benefit from them for themselves.
- the ability to make other people happy. The old folk wisdom - Dari others what he would get from them. "The law of the boomerang" on which all good and evil, perpetrated by people back sooner or later, according to psychologists, there.
- nesuetnoy, the ability to be sincere and to enjoy life in all its manifestations. Not by chance childhood usually comes to mind as the most happy time - and this is the time when a man does not set unattainable goals, open to experience, and is not shy about his emotions
Emotions and culture: how to decipher the emotional code
- harmony with the environment and with the ability to take yourself and life circumstances for what they are. Thus, according to British research organizations, the happiest country was named a tiny (only two hundred thousand inhabitants), the state of Vanuatu, located in the Pacific Islands. The economy, which is close to the natural lack of aggressive industrial corporations, peace and tranquility, beautiful environment - at this point people may not care about, so happy. By comparison, the United States in the list is on the one hundred and fiftieth place, and Russia - one hundred seventy-two (one hundred seventy-eight countries).
Be happy - it is work
Of course there is a certain kind of character, happy owners who give others a positive - and get it for yourself on a daily basis. But most still need to work on yourself. After all, to be happy is only one way - to feel so. How to achieve this? Psychologists suggest to start with simple rules that should get in the habit:
- adjusted only good to drive away gloomy thoughts;
- smile more often, even if you do not want to do that;
- live in the present, not building far-reaching plans are not writing out their lives in the next few years;
- more rest, walk, devote time hobbies;
- love. It inspires a feeling like no other;
- keep a diary to help analyze emotions and to work on the bugs.
Finally, you just need to remember that there is no universal formula for happiness and can not be, it at everyone. Happiness - a state of mind to which you aspire.
Modern antidepressants: Risks and side effects
January 8, 2012
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors - modern antidepressants is efficient and minimize the possibility of side effects. Despite the fact that this type of anti-depressants are considered the most effective duration of treatment is at least six months - that is how much time it takes on average for the complete suppression of the symptoms of a depressive disorder.
Antidepressants - selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are used not only to treat depression, but also to suppress the symptoms of some other disorders, including obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder
Panic disorder - learn to not be afraid of problems
, Bulimia. Depending on the disorder for which treatment applied SSRIs, their effectiveness may vary. In general, a few weeks after you start taking antidepressants in five to seven cases of severe depression out of ten there is a significant improvement in symptoms.
In some cases, improve the patient's condition has been observed for a few days after you start taking antidepressants - selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. However, often to start a full-fledged action of these drugs need regular intake of SSRIs for two to four weeks. The recommended course of treatment takes about six months and before the termination of treatment leads to a return of symptoms. In the case of recurrent depression, duration of treatment with antidepressants can be increased.
How to take antidepressants
Taking an SSRI antidepressant, it is important to carefully follow the recommended dosage or stop taking medication on their own, without the guidance of the doctor - this may lead to symptoms of the so-called withdrawal (abstinence syndrome). Generally, the dose of antidepressants at the end of treatment decreases gradually to prevent withdrawal symptoms.
Modern antidepressants include citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine and sentralin. Each of these products are manufactured under the trade name of the individual. Select one drug that will be most effective for everyone, it is impossible - if the chosen antidepressant does not have the expected impact, it is usually assigned a different drug from the group of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. If the SSRI-antidepressants do not help suppress the symptoms of depression, for the treatment of depressive disorder may be recommended by other types of antidepressants.
Risks and side effects
In most cases, even after prolonged antidepressant no side effects were observed. Possible side effects and risks depend on the specific antidepressant and generally indicated by the manufacturer in the instructions for the drug. The most common side effects of SSRI antidepressant may include diarrhea, general feeling of malaise, nausea, headache. Typically, these side effects of drugs are terminated within one to two weeks. Unlike previous generations of antidepressants, modern antidepressants only in rare cases cause drowsiness and lethargy.
Among the possible side effects of SSRI antidepressant - the risk of bleeding in the digestive tract, increasing while taking other medications. It is therefore not recommended concomitant use of SSRI antidepressants, and aspirin, warfarin, other types of NSAIDs ibuprofen or naproxen.
Potential violations of the nervous system while taking SSRI antidepressants, - dizziness, anxiety, irritability
Irritability - you try to control my temper
, Sleep disturbances, tremor.
Modern antidepressants in rare cases can cause various types of sexual dysfunction - including erectile dysfunction, vaginal dryness, lack of sexual desire.
Modern antidepressants and addictive
Antidepressants - selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor is not classified as tranquilizers and are not addictive in most cases. Practically, this means that the cessation of treatment such drugs do not cause any problems. Approximately four weeks before the end of treatment dosage of SSRI-antidepressants gradually reduced, which allows you to complete the treatment without the occurrence of withdrawal syndrome. Potentially possible withdrawal symptoms include dizziness, irritability and anxiety
Anxiety - how to distinguish normal from disease?
, Sleep disorders, symptoms similar to the common cold, diarrhea, abdominal pain
Abdominal pain: Types and Symptoms
spasmodic character, mood swings. The chance of occurrence of such symptoms by gradually reducing the dosage of SSRI antidepressant is minimal.