Congenital clubfoot - can you handle it? - Forms
July 4, 2010
- Congenital clubfoot - can you handle it?
Types of clubfoot
Clubfoot - a complex foot deformity combined. Clubfoot is a congenital or acquired. Congenital clubfoot (congenital cauda inner-toed foot) - one of the most common strains. Among the congenital clubfoot deformities ranked first. In boys, this pathology occurs almost twice as often than girls.
There are several common forms of congenital clubfoot (in total, they account for 80% of all congenital clubfoot):
- varus (with reduction of the forefoot) Osten-Sacken contracture, in which changes in the muscles, ligaments and bones of the foot are insignificant; fix the position of the foot is achieved with relative ease;
- ligamentous soft tissue forms, the most common; changes in the bones when they are not expressed strongly; eliminate such distortion can not be simultaneously;
- bone shape deformity, occurring less frequently; if they can be expressed by changes in bone, including an outer ankle strain, which reaches a considerable size and prevents deformity correction.
The untypical forms (they make up only 20% of the congenital clubfoot) is clubfoot, arising due to constrictions within the sac (amnion), congenital bone defects (mainly of the tibia), congenital paralysis and so on.
Congenital clubfoot may result from a primary defect bookmark tissue in early pregnancy, fetal malposition in the uterus, and various disorders of innervation of this area. Pure bone strain is rare, more often children who have been a clear thickening of ligaments, atypical arrangement of muscles and tendons, as well as additional, not normally available muscles that deform the foot. The most common cause of congenital clubfoot is a violation of the functional balance between the arch supports and pronator (supination - rotation of the foot outward, pronation - inside).
Symptoms of congenital clubfoot
In congenital clubfoot foot (especially the middle part and the heel area) turned inward, is a forefoot, causing on the inner surface there is often a deep furrow (furrow Adams). The entire stack is in the position of plantar flexion. The degree of deformation varies in a very wide range: from subtle and easily removable to pronounced. Congenital clubfoot can severely disrupt the function of the support leg.
Treatment of congenital clubfoot in infants begin 7-10 days after birth. Only in the most severe cases can be achieved by means of treatment of immobilization of the foot flannel bandage, corrective gymnastics and massage. Typically used landmark casts that first change after 7 days, and after 3-5 months of treatment (when the foot will be displayed in the center position) - in 9-12 days. K 6-7 - months of age and sometimes by the time the child begins to walk, foot deformities can be completely eliminated in most children.
Upon application of a plaster cast is placed on the child's abdomen, leg bent at the knee, and then applied a plaster cast on the foot and lower leg, and in some cases capture knee and lower thigh. When the treatment is completed, the child in mild cases impose a plaster on a night bus, and heavy it is there permanently. The treatment also includes special exercises for the correction of foot deformities and strengthen leg muscles.
If conservative treatment does not help, aged from 2 to 14 years are used in the operation of tendons and muscles of the foot. After surgery on a leg cast is applied for a period of six months, during which time the transformation of the bones of the foot. With a strict execution of all doctor's appointments foot gets the right shape in 95% of cases, 5% are those patients who are due to significant strain on the bones of the operation shows the foot. To eliminate bone deformities carry out reconstruction modified bones of the foot. Sometimes it is necessary to remove a part of the foot bones.
As the conservative and the surgical treatment of congenital clubfoot widely used physiotherapy (heat treatment, ultrasound, electrical muscle stimulation, etc.) to improve the elasticity of soft tissue and muscle strengthening.
To identify the various developmental abnormalities, including congenital clubfoot, each child during the first year of life several times inspects orthopedist. It is not a mere formality: it is the early detection of any congenital abnormalities is the key to its proper and timely correction.
Treatment of heel spurs folk remedies - are they really effective? - Recipes
February 17, 2011
- Treatment of heel spurs folk remedies - are they really effective?
How does a heel spur
Heel spur appear metabolic disorders
Metabolism: The basis of life of all living things
, Continuous heel injury resulting from various orthopedic diseases (e.g., flat), wearing tight uncomfortable shoes, fractures, and other sharps injuries. The mechanism of formation of heel spurs is violated that metabolism in the calcaneus, and it starts to grow in the form of stud facing the bottom surface of the foot.
Permanent soft tissue injuries while walking their inflammation - cause of the pain. The pain is manifested in different ways, depending on the individual. Thus, in some cases, a large bone spurs do not cause the patient any discomfort. In other patients, even a small spike in the same area causing severe pain and inability to fully move.
Basic principles of treatment of heel spurs
Treatment of heel spurs may be conservative - its purpose to reduce inflammation and pain in the heel area. If the pain is significant, then the operative methods of treatment.
In order to lower the heel soft tissue is injured, it recommended to wear orthopedic shoes (it should be the appointment of an orthopedist) and special insoles, heel where, in a place where it grows spur, there is a hole.
To reduce pain and inflammation apply a different drug treatment and folk remedies. Some folk remedies reduce the sensitivity of the soft tissues, which creates the effect that heel spurs resolved. In fact, this is not possible: heel spurs can only remove one way or another. Today, there are special devices shock wave therapy, which are crushed heel spurs. Destroy overgrown bone and with the help of X-ray. In extreme cases, when a large painful spur, it is removed using a special tool operation - bit.
Folk remedies for the treatment of heel spurs
There are many recipes for the treatment of heel spurs
Treatment of heel spurs - Only a doctor
and many of them do help, removing inflammation and hypersensitivity soft tissue heel:
- gather first spring nettles, scroll it through a meat grinder, put on a burdock leaf, to attach to the heel, cover with a layer of cotton wool and bandage; hold compress all night; apply compresses every other day, up to five or six treatments;
- take a fresh orris root, wash, mince; the resulting gruel to add equal volume of alcohol, put in a jar of dark glass, cover and put in a dark cool place (not the refrigerator) for two weeks; then the infusion, moisten the cloth to make it to the heel, top overlay layer of polyethylene and cotton, bandage and leave on all night; the next night the heel smeared Vaseline
Vaseline: old friend
and also impose a polyethylene and a layer of cotton wool; alternate compresses with tincture of iris and petroleum jelly for three weeks;
- knead honey cake (honey with flour), attach it to the heel, cover with polythene, cotton, bandage and leave overnight; procedures can be done daily until the pain will not go;
- self-massage daily for at least half an hour to rub the heel of the woolen surface - a lovely warming, improves circulation and reduces the sensitivity of tissues procedure;
- hot foot bath with a high concentration of saline solution (per liter of water - three tablespoons of salt to the top) for 40 minutes (do at night); After the bath feet wipe and wear wool socks;
- a flat piece of salted pork fat attached to the heel, top - a plastic bag, coat and wool socks, leave overnight, but if you do not interfere with walking, you can leave on the day; a poultice can be made from raw potatoes, grated;
- applied to the heel of plantain leaf
Psyllium - helps the kidneys and stomach
(back side) fixing it with a bandage or wear; twice a day (morning and evening) to change it for a new one;
- boil small potatoes in their skins (full three-liter saucepan), to shift into a bowl, wait until it cools down a bit, but is still quite hot and flexes his feet, until cool; do not wash your feet, just wipe on the area of the heels cause transverse and longitudinal strips of tincture of iodine (iodine net) and put on wool socks; the procedure is done on a daily basis during the week at night;
- on cabbage leaf to put a teaspoon of honey, to attach to the heel, top - a layer of cotton wool and a sock or bandage from bandage and leave for the night; to do three days, if the pain is not gone, again a week later.
Of course, people means not getting rid of the spur, but it can make it painless.