- How to measure blood pressure at home - choose a tonometer
- Types of blood pressure monitors
Regular measurement of pressure at home allows the doctor to get more information on the state of health of the patient - for example, to monitor the effect of treatment for hypertension. To measure your blood pressure yourself, you need a tonometer - aneroid or electronic. Selection tonometer depend on the preferences and needs of the patient.
Aneroid sphygmomanometer is somewhat more complicated to use and easier to damage. When used, the air in the cuff is pumped by hand, which may be some difficulties for some patients. In addition, the aneroid sphygmomanometer is not suitable for patients with hearing impairments. On the other hand, it is easy to learn to use a blood pressure cuff, and it is cheaper than an electronic device.
Electronic tonometer is easy to use - it is probably its main advantage. The disadvantage is the cost and a greater likelihood of errors in the testimony that may arise when the patient moves or speaks. In addition, Electronic tonometer, unlike aneroid requires batteries.
When selecting the tonometer should also be borne in mind that blood pressure, measures the pressure on the wrist or fingers, very often give results with large errors. Therefore, choose a blood pressure, measures the pressure on the wrist.
Before measuring pressure
- Do not drink coffee, alcoholic beverages or use tobacco products 30 minutes before measuring pressure.
- Go to the bathroom before measuring pressure.
- Relax three to five minutes, do not talk.
- Sit in a comfortable position, uncrossed his legs, leaning back in his seat.
- Place your left hand on the table, the surface of which is at the level of the heart.
- Roll up the sleeve of his left hand (if it is thin, you can leave) and put on the forearm cuff tonometer. The cuff should fit the hand not too tight - so that you can stick your finger between her and hand.
How to use tonometer aneroid
- Put on the stethoscope.
- Attach the drive to the stethoscope inside of the bend of the elbow.
- Rapidly inflate the cuff with a rubber bulb - so that the systolic pressure on the screen for 30-40 units higher than your previous record. Charge air quickly - if you do it too slow, the tonometer may give incorrect results.
- Start slowly let the air out of the cuff. As soon as you hear my heart beat, write or remember the indications on the screen - this is your systolic pressure.
- Continue to deflate the cuff and listen owl heartbeat. When you stop to hear it, write down where the arrow on the screen. This - the systolic pressure.
How to use the electronic tonometer
- Put on the cuff on the arm and switch on.
- Automatic electronic blood pressure monitors themselves inflate the cuff, using semi tonomerov to do it yourself with a rubber bulb. After some time, the cuff pressure begins to fall automatically.
- The device will display on the screen of your systolic and diastolic pressure. Record readings.
What are the indications tonometer
Considered normal pressure is 120/80 or lower. If blood pressure
Blood pressure - dangerous if his swing?
regularly in the range higher than normal but below 139/89 (inclusive), say pregipertenzii. The pressure between 140/90 and 159/99 indicates the first stage of hypertension, if the pressure is consistently above 160/100 - a second stage of hypertension.
Why is a blood pressure monitor?
In most cases, changes in blood pressure do not show any specific signs or symptoms - which is why you need to check the pressure regularly. It is believed that the pressure can vary during the day, as many factors - including emotions
Emotions and culture: how to decipher the emotional code
Taken medicines and even food and drink - can temporarily affect the blood pressure.
There are instances, when viewed from the hospital the patient has high blood pressure, and at home - is normal. This condition is called hypertension
Hypertension - when suffering heart and brain
Measurement of blood pressure using a sphygmomanometer home helps to accurately determine whether a patient has observed problems with pressure, and therefore to develop a treatment plan.
Regular measurement of the pressure of their own - a great way to take care of their own health and to recognize the problem. Record indicators of pressure, measured at home will help your doctor determine how much pressure varies during the day, and how effective these or other drugs to reduce the pressure.
How to measure the pressure in the home
In order to measure the pressure in the home need to aneroid and digital blood pressure monitor.
The device aneroid sphygmomanometer suggests cuff shoulder, pear injection of air and pressure gauge for which tracks the readings. Tonometer cuff to be fixed on the shoulder with Velcro or metal staples, which are usually equipped with cuffs to facilitate self-putting. Aneroid sphygmomanometer main advantage is that it can be easily transferred from one place to another. In addition, the device assumes aneroid sphygmomanometer stethoscope built, so buy extra stethoscope is not necessary. Aneroid sphygmomanometer is much cheaper than digital.
However, the aneroid sphygmomanometer there are some significant drawbacks. First of all, such a tonometer - rather complicated and fragile apparatus that is easily damaged and as a result the measurement accuracy is significantly reduced. More importantly, tonometer aneroid can not be used by people with hearing impairment as a tonometer is to use a stethoscope to listen to heart murmurs.
Depending on the digital tonometer process of pumping and venting of the cuff can be either automatic or manual. Indicators blood pressure are displayed on a small display tonometer. Digital blood pressure monitors, by and large, far more popular than the aneroid - such devices easier to use and easier to determine the parameters of pressure, which simply displayed.
Some digital tonometers involve the possibility of printing the resulting pressure measurement indicators on the paper. Such devices are optimal for people who suffer from hearing impairment, as there is no need to listen to the noises in the heart with a stethoscope.
The main drawback of digital tonometer is that the accuracy of measurement may vary depending on the movements of the body or due to the irregular rhythm of the heart.
In addition, the digital sphygmomanometer need batteries. Finally, these blood pressure is much more expensive than the aneroid sphygmomanometers.
How to choose a blood pressure monitor?
- When selecting the tonometer cuff size is important - it must match the circumference of the forearm, so as not to pinch the hand and at the same time adhere to the skin. If the cuff size is chosen correctly, the accuracy of blood pressure measurement will inevitably be much lower.
- In addition, when selecting a digital tonometer make sure that the numerical values on the display is easily read.
- When selecting aneroid sphygmomanometer stethoscope to check the work.
- As the prices of blood pressure are quite diverse, we must remember that the most expensive devices do not guarantee the highest accuracy.
Precautions when measuring the pressure at home
- At least half an hour before the pressure measurement can not drink caffeine, tobacco, alcohol.
- Before measuring the pressure, it is recommended to empty the bladder
Urinary bladder - structure and function
- It recommended for 5 minutes to measure the pressure to relax.
- When measuring the pressure necessary to take a comfortable position - feet and ankles should not be crossed, the back should rest against the back of a chair or armchair.
- Cuff tonometer must be carefully mounted on the bare skin of his hands - if the cuff is fitted incorrectly, the measurement will not be accurate.
- The bottom edge of the cuff should be positioned about 3-4 cm above the elbow.