- Contraception during breast-feeding - it does not harm the baby
- Hormonal agents
- Side effects
Even if the pregnancy after giving birth you feel so tired, it seems, the desire to have sex does not appear very soon to think about contraception still stands. It will take a while, you get used to a new lifestyle and, most likely, also sexual life begins to return to normal. If you are breastfeeding, the choice of contraceptive methods should be approached very carefully. You have to choose from three main categories: non-hormonal, combined and progestin-only contraceptives.
Condoms do not exert any influence on the production and composition of the milk, as well as children. At the same time, due to low levels of estrogen
Estrogen - the key to bone health
in the body of a nursing mother, the amount of vaginal discharge is reduced and the use of condoms may cause irritation. This problem can be solved by using special grease.
Advantages of condoms:
- Availability - are not only sold in pharmacies, but also in many shops and gas stations;
- Low cost;
- What to buy them, do not require a prescription;
- Protection not only from pregnancy but also from sexually transmitted diseases by;
- Prevention of premature ejaculation.
Disadvantages of condoms:
- Some men and women say that condoms significantly blunt the sensation during sexual intercourse;
- For some men it is difficult to maintain an erection
Erection - what hinders and what helps a man to be a man
in a condom;
- The need to suspend the sexual act to put on a condom;
- 1-2% of women and men are allergic to latex. They need to buy condoms, do not contain latex, which are found on sale less frequently.
Aperture - a flexible "cup" made of latex, which before intercourse inserted into the vagina and covers the cervix. The diaphragms are used with 1830, and sold over the counter. They are considered the first of the modern inventions for women seeking to prevent unintended pregnancy. For more than half a century, the diaphragm has been significantly improved, and is still quite popular means of contraception. Before using the diaphragm cover spermicide - for more effective protection against pregnancy.
Advantages of the diaphragm:
- Unaffected not hormonal women;
- When used correctly, there is not any one of the partners;
- Very rarely causes any side effects;
- Aperture is perfectly safe for nursing mothers;
- Reducing the risk of infection with sexually transmitted diseases;
- The diaphragm can prevent some types of precancerous lesions of the cervix.
- Some women find this method of contraception one of the most uncomfortable;
- In some positions, and depending on the size of the penis, the diaphragm can be displaced;
- Protection level slightly lower than with the use of condoms and hormonal contraceptives.
Spermicides are not harmful to a nursing mother and child. A small amount of spermicide can be absorbed into the bloodstream and into the milk, but they do not harm the child. Nevertheless, we must bear in mind that spermicides provide a rather low level of protection against pregnancy, they are best used in combination with barrier methods of contraception (diaphragms or condoms).
Advantages of intrauterine devices:
- Spirals can be used during breastfeeding, without fear of harm to the child;
- Protection against pregnancy lasts up to ten years, but the spiral can be removed at any time, and fertility is restored immediately;
- An excellent alternative for women who do not fit any barrier or hormonal contraception;
- Once you put the spiral, you can forget about it - it is not there, when you walk, exercise or sex;
- Spiral can improve sex life, will make it more spontaneous - you do not have to remember what you need to put on a condom or take a pill;
- An additional advantage: ParaGard IUD can be used as a means of emergency contraception if put it within five days after unprotected intercourse, it is 99.9% will reduce the likelihood of unintended pregnancy.
- Some women within a few months after they have set spiral during menstruation there are unusually severe vaginal bleeding and cramping in the lower abdomen;
- In the first months are also possible smearing bleeding between periods;
- Some women for a few days or weeks after they put a spiral, suffering from abdominal pain, or back;
- Spiral ParaGard can make menstrual bleeding 50-75% more abundant that sometimes causes anemia.
Natural Family Planning
Natural family planning, also known as periodic abstinence, it is absolutely safe for lactating women and can be a very effective means of contraception. However, during lactation may be particularly difficult to identify periods of fertility.
This method consists in the fact that women are watching their menstrual cycle and the changes that are happening to her body, and defines periods when conception is most and least likely. Using this method requires knowledge, patience and discipline. Some couples practicing natural family planning because women hormonal contraceptives are contraindicated, or someone from a partner is allergic to latex, others do it because of religious beliefs. On average, the efficacy of this method is 77-88%, and ideally used properly (that for most normal household use practically impossible) - 95-98%. This means that of women using contraception as a means of natural family planning, within one year, on average, pregnancy occurs in women 12-23.
This method is also called sterilization
. For a nursing mother and the child itself tubal ligation is safe, but we must remember that the operation will be applied anesthesia
. A quantity of anesthetic may appear in breast milk, so for some time after the surgery better refrain from feeding
. Generally, tubal ligation - a very radical method of contraception, and the decision on its use should be very prudent
. In addition, approximately one in 200 cases during dressing tube is not completely blocked, and the woman in the future can still get pregnant
. In the first year of effectiveness of tubal ligation as a means of contraception is over 99%
. In each subsequent year pregnancy occurs, on average, in one out of 100 women who did dressing
. Within 10 years, pregnant, on average, 18
. 5 of 1,000 women, the likelihood of ectopic pregnancy after tubal ligation is 33%
Lactational amenorrhea method
In the process of lactation breastfeeding can be used as a means of contraception. To lactational amenorrhea method
Lactational amenorrhea method - effective but demanding
(MAL) was effective, a woman must feed the baby only breast through approximately equal intervals. This is valid because the hormones that stimulate the milk production, also prevent the production of hormones, which are triggers ovulation
Ovulation - How to determine as accurately as possible?
. Obviously, if there is no ovulation, pregnancy can not occur.
- No side effects;
- The free method of contraception;
- Natural hormones are not changing;
- To use this method to prevent unwanted pregnancies, it is not necessary to go to the doctor and get a prescription;
- Bleeding after childbirth is becoming less abundant and will be terminated.
- Lack of protection against diseases, sexually transmitted diseases;
- Decrease of vaginal lubrication;
- Difficulties in the application - not all women can breast-feed the baby only.
MAL Efficiency ranges from 95% to 98%, but as the only means of contraception can be used only in the first six months after birth. If monthly will begin sooner, then you need to begin using other contraceptives. Furthermore, MAL is effective only if the woman is breastfeeding at least six times a day, that is, every four hours. It is important that each time a child pee milk from both breasts. Various milk substitutes may be no more than 5-10% of the total diet of the child, but it is better not to use them at all.