Pain in the legs - is a very common problem that can appear as a result of the injury, and because of the different diseases that affect the bones, joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, blood vessels, nerves, and skin.
Causes of leg pain -travmy
Injuries are the most obvious causes of pain in the legs. Fractures, sprains, dislocations, stab wounds and bleeding - all of which can cause pain in the legs. With some injuries do not require special treatment, in other cases, the delay in receiving medical care can lead to serious and even life-threatening condition.
Nontraumatic causes pain in the legs
In addition to injuries, there are many disorders that can cause pain in the legs.
- Peripheral arterial disease. This disease is characterized by a decrease in blood flow to the legs resulting in constricted blood vessels; because of this pain may occur in one or two legs. Often pain appears during exercise, as this requires more oxygen to muscles. When arteries are narrowed and can not supply enough oxygen-rich blood, there is pain in the legs. Sometimes the blood flow is restricted so that the pain occurs even at rest. In addition, in peripheral arterial disease increases the likelihood of infection and slows healing of wounds that can also cause pain in the legs.
- Blood clots can cause obstruction of the arteries in the legs, causing sudden severe pain as a result of a complete cessation of blood flow to certain tissues. As a rule, this leather leg becomes unusually pale and cold to the touch. Blood clots may form due to various reasons. For example, while atrial fibrillation of the heart sometimes shell formed small blood clots, which are then detached and moves through the arteries until the cause of obstruction, such as in the legs. Sometimes, however, the blood clots to enter the blood vessels leading to the brain and cause strokes.
- Blood clots can cause obstruction and veins, also causing pain. For example, they may cause thrombosis of deep or superficial veins. Both of these disorders cause pain in the legs.
- Sciatica - another possible cause of pain in the legs. It can be caused by arthritis, herniated disc, muscle spasms, or injuries.
- Neuropathy. Leg pain may result from inflammation of the peripheral nerves are not connected to the spinal cord. These disorders are known as peripheral neuropathy. Sometimes neuropathy also occurs during pregnancy, when the nerve inflammation may be due to the pressure of the uterus.
- Chronic diseases such as diabetes, alcoholism, cancer, and vitamin deficiency can cause nerve pain, often - in both legs. In addition, pain and weakness in the legs are signs of diseases such as Guillain-Barre syndrome and multiple sclerosis.
- Skin diseases can also cause pain in the legs, especially in the presence of major disorders, such as diabetes and peripheral artery disease that may interfere with the proper treatment. Inflammation of the skin may be caused by, for example, streptococcal or staphylococcal infection.
- Pain in the joints of the feet - a very common problem, often associated with arthritis. Such species include arthritis such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
Arthritis - a variety of forms and complications
. Some general diseases, including lupus, psoriasis, hepatitis
Hepatitis - the scourge of our time
and Lyme disease can also cause pain in the joints of the feet.
- Muscle aches in the legs most often caused by overexertion, but their causes are infections and other diseases.
- Muscle cramps may be due to an imbalance of electrolytes. Calf muscles and muscles of the foot more susceptible to seizures.
- Diabetes can also cause pain in the legs. If the blood sugar level
Blood sugar - one of the main indicators of human health
many years, is not controlled properly, the nerves and the blood vessels are damaged and lose its function. Often the damage affects the feet.
In most cases, pain in the legs passes pretty quickly. However, if it persists for a week or more, or become very strong, it is necessary to see a specialist. The method of treatment of pain in his legs will depend on its cause.
Why can hurt leg
At a young age most often the cause of this disease are the effects of trauma, inflammatory diseases of the joints and bones, flat feet, some orthopedic diseases specific to children and youth.
In old age, feet often get sick as a result of exchange-dystrophic diseases of the spine and joints. Another cause of the disease are the veins and arteries - they can also cause severe pain in the legs.
Due to the fact that the causes of pain in the feet are very diverse, before starting treatment, you must be examined and clarified the reason for their appearance - only then can will carry out the proper treatment.
Pain in the legs in orthopedic diseases
Pain in the feet always accompany flat - changing the shape of the foot with a decrease in its vaults. In marked flatfoot person complains of persistent pain in the feet, legs, often in the lower back. Causes of flat feet can be the life of both innate and acquired as a result of a variety of injuries and illnesses. Help in this case, consult a doctor orthopedic, physiotherapy, massage, physiotherapy and wearing special orthopedic shoes.
Perthes disease, or aseptic necrosis of the femoral head - it is a common disease in children aged 3 to 15 years, which in 3-4 years first completely destroyed and then restored the femoral head
. A special feature of this disease is that the initial stage of its almost imperceptible, because of what the parents of these children to seek specialized care very late
. Perthes disease develops on the background of congenital blood disorders of the hip joint, starting torque, there may be some illness or minor injury
. There are slight pain in the hip and knee joints, the child begins to limp slightly, then parents discover that one leg is shorter than the other
. Perthes disease may pass without any consequences for health, if the leg of the child during the whole of the disease will be completely immobilized
. If it does not (with late treatment), it formed a joint arthrosis and stiffness
. Therefore, if your child constantly aches one knee, it is best to consult with orthopedist
Pain in the legs when the exchange-dystrophic diseases of the skeletal system
Such diseases include low back pain
Osteochondrosis - learn how to properly distribute the weight
and arthrosis. When osteochondrosis of the violation of metabolic processes break down the cartilage intervertebral joints and intervertebral discs (flat discs of dense connective tissue with elastic center) because of what is happening squeezing roots extending from the spinal cord spinal nerves. If this occurs in the lumbosacral region, it will necessarily pain in the legs.
When osteoarthritis exchange-degenerative changes occur in the cartilage of the joints. The cartilage is gradually destroyed, the joint surfaces become rough, rub against each other, causing pain that is worse in the evening and goes after the rest.
To help in this case can reduce the load on the spine and joints, heat treatments, massages, physiotherapy and drugs that restore the cartilage structure (eg rumalon).
Pain in the legs in diseases of the blood vessels
When the veins can not cope with its load of pumping blood from the lower extremities to the heart, the blood stagnates in part in leg veins, causing them to change in the form of extensions and components (varicose veins)
. This further enhances the blood stasis, and where the blood stagnates, often form blood clots (thrombosis of the vein), thrombosis joins inflammation of the vein wall (thrombophlebitis)
. All these diseases cause pain in the legs
. If thrombosing expand and superficial veins, it appears on the surface of the skin in the form of a characteristic mesh
. But in some cases, this mesh is not visible, but the patient worried about the growing severity and pain in the legs, nocturnal leg cramps - a sign of the deep veins of varicose
. When varicose veins is best as soon as possible to see a doctor - will only comprehensive treatment
. And again, as little as possible are in the same position (standing, sitting) - it increases congestion in the veins of the legs
Pain in the legs in diseases of the arteries have their own characteristics: they often appear as "intermittent claudication" - the emergence of severe pain in the calf muscles when walking that cause a person to stop and rest. They arise with the gradual reduction of blood flow in the arteries of the legs. The cause of such changes in the arteries may be atherosclerosis, arterial thrombosis, and so on. Help can only be a doctor after a preliminary examination. But something can do for yourself and the patient himself, for example, quit smoking - nicotine constricts blood vessels.
It's not all the causes of pain in the legs, a lot of them, including some rare causes, which can only be identified in the survey. Therefore, if the feet hurt, then do not delay access to a doctor.