Zoloft - gentle but effective anti-depressant - Depression and antidepressants
May 3, 2009
- Zoloft - gentle but effective anti-depressant
- Depression and Antidepressants
Depression and Antidepressants
Stojko low mood or depression is always accompanied by a lack of interest in life, unpleasant thoughts, sleep disorders, feelings of inferiority and insecurity. All this can be combined with various diseases and stress. Depression - a dangerous condition, because it often leads to suicide
Suicide in terms of the psychiatrist - can it be prevented?
The cause of depression - lack of biologically active chemicals through which the transmission of electrical impulses in nerve cells, these substances called neurotransmitters (serotonin, normadrenalin, dopamine). Serotonin helps persistent maintain a good mood, the appearance of feelings of happiness, ecstasy (eg, creative), it gives a person self-confidence, self-control. Number of serotonin rises during the euphoria (elation) and decreases during the Depression.
For the treatment of depression applied drugs called antidepressants.
Zoloft (international nonproprietary name - sertraline hydrochloride) - is an antidepressant whose mechanism of action is inhibition of serotonin reuptake in neurons. This means that the amount of serotonin in the joints of neurons and nerve impulse transmission rate increases, which has a calming effect, helps reduce anxiety, depression, and panic.
On the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine Zoloft has little effect and it affects what he had far fewer side effects than other antidepressants. Zoolft not cause drug dependence, and weight gain during chronic administration.
Who can receive Zoloft
Zoloft - a mild antidepressant, so it is recommended to receive treatment include various depressions, including the background of internal diseases, which are accompanied by low mood or bouts of panic attacks (sudden beginning and ending as suddenly panic attacks).
Zoloft is also effective in the treatment of latent and atypical depressions which appear as symptoms of various diseases of the nervous system and internal organs (including chronic pain) and removed during the treatment of depression. The course of treatment Zoloft successfully resolves itself as the depressive symptoms, anxiety and symptoms of diseases of internal organs and the autonomic nervous system, helps normalize sleep and eliminate the pain.
Recently, Zoloft have been actively used in the treatment of patients with organic (visible changes in tissue) neurological diseases accompanied by depression. Zoloft has a good effect in Parkinson's disease (neurological disorder characterized by impaired voluntary movement) and Alzheimer's disease (saboumii).
With social phobias (communication disorders) Zoloft is increasingly the drug of choice.
Zoloft should not be taken:
- during pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- in children under 6 years;
- hypersensitivity to the drug.
With care prescribe Zoloft with organic diseases of the brain, seizures, liver problems and kidney deficiency of body weight.
You should not be combined with other drugs Zoloft, has psychoactive effect, since they can mutually reinforce each other's action.
Side effects that may occur while taking Zoloft
Upon receipt of Zoloft may include the following side effects:
- of the central and peripheral nervous system: headache, dizziness, tremors, sleep disturbances (insomnia or, alternatively, drowsiness), anxiety, agitation, abnormal gait, vision, sensitivity, very rarely - seizures; when abrupt cancellation Zoloft may be signs of cancellation, depression, hallucinations (the person sees something that is not in fact), aggressive behavior, agitation, anxiety;
- General disorders: weakness, excessive sweating, reduction or increase in body weight;
- from the gastrointestinal tract: loss of appetite (sometimes increasing), dry mouth, abdominal pain
Abdominal pain: Types and Symptoms
Flatulence - when too much gas
, Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and sometimes - liver dysfunction;
- sexual disorders: decreased libido, delayed ejaculation, impotence
Impotence - a female perspective on the problem
- on the part of the cardiovascular system: palpitations, flushing, epistaxis;
- by skin rash, including allergic nature.
- on the part of the endocrine system: menstrual irregularities.
Zoloft - a drug that helps to get out of difficult and sometimes desperate situations.
Nootropil - is not new, but still effective - Nootropic drugs
February 21, 2010
- Nootropil - is not new, but still effective
- Nootropic drugs
Neuroprotective drugs or nootropics include substances that activate the higher integrative (integrate) functions of the brain. Noootropy have a beneficial effect on learning and memory in their violation. Many have expressed antihypoxic nootrops activity (increase the resistance of the nerve cells to the lack of oxygen). The mechanism of action of nootropics is a positive effect on metabolic energy processes of the brain. Nootropy help improve blood supply to the brain, bioenergetic processes in the tissue of the brain, transmission of nerve excitation in the nerve cells.
The mechanism of action of nootropil
Nootropil (INN - piracetam) - a nootropic drug that acts directly on the brain, improving cognitive processes (learning ability, memory, attention) and mental performance. Nootropil improves metabolic processes in the nerve cells, increases the speed of propagation of excitation in the brain, improves communication between the hemispheres of the brain, improves mental performance. In addition, it improves the cerebral blood flow, especially in small vessels of the brain affecting the fluidity and viscosity of the blood and causing no vasodilatory action.
Nootropil improves brain functions disturbed due to lack of oxygen and various toxic influences (protective effect). It prevents thrombus formation, reducing the degree of adherence (adhesion) of blood cells (erythrocytes and platelets) to the walls of blood vessels and reducing blood clotting components.
After receiving nootropil inside quickly and almost completely absorbed, the maximum concentration is reached within an hour after ingestion. Bioavailability (absorption of its body tissues), is nearly 100%, thus Nootropilum selectively accumulates in the brain tissue in the cortex. He is not bound to plasma proteins, it does not decompose in the body and is excreted by the kidneys unchanged.
Indications and contraindications for use nootropil
Nootropil shows (usually as part of combination therapy) with the following diseases and conditions:
- in disorders of brain activity in elderly patients suffering from memory loss, dizziness, decreased concentration and total activity, changes in mood, behavior disorder, abnormal gait, as well as in patients with various types of dementia;
- the treatment of the effects of stroke, such as speech disturbances, disturbances of the emotional sphere, to improve motor and mental activity;
- chronic alcoholism - to treat the effects of the toxic effects of alcohol on the brain and the state of hangover (withdrawal syndrome);
- in recovery from coma, including after injury and intoxication of the brain;
- in the treatment of vertigo and associated disorders of balance, with the exception of vertigo of vascular origin and mental;
- low learning ability in children with brain disorders organic (related to changes in the structure of the brain) origin;
- when motor disorders arising as a result of changes in the cerebral cortex.
Contraindications for use nootropil:
- individual intolerance of components;
- acute ischemic stroke due to bleeding in the brain (hemorrhagic stroke);
- end-stage renal disease;
- Children under one year (oral solution), and up to three years (capsules and tablets);
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Breast-feeding: feed - and no nails!
child - animal studies have not identified a damaging effect on the fetus and its development, on the course of pregnancy and childbirth, but studies in pregnant women have not been conducted; nootropil crosses the placental barrier into the breast milk.
Side effects that may occur when using nootropil
When receiving nootropil may experience the following side effects:
- From the nervous system: dizziness, headache, excessive involuntary movements (hyperkinesias), gait disturbance, balance, nervousness, drowsiness, low mood (depression), generalized weakness, fatigue, anxiety
Anxiety - how to distinguish normal from disease?
Rarely - exacerbation of epilepsy and hallucinations;
- on the part of the endocrine system: metabolic disorders, including weight gain, increased sexuality
Nine ways to experience their sexuality
- from the gastrointestinal tract (rarely): nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain
Abdominal pain: Types and Symptoms
- For the skin - skin rash, itching, swelling.
In overdose nootropil all side effects worse.